cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to move to Virgin Media - Question regarding stability

manikqile
Joining in

I am currently with TalkTalk and am scoping out different ISPs as my contract is up at the end of March. I have frankly had enough with the current speeds I am getting (70 Megabits per second on FTTC)

FTTP from Openreach isn't available yet and on the Openreach site, it states that FTTP will be built in my area between April 2022 and April 2025, so my only option is Virgin Media which has the Gigabit package. Altnet ISPs will not touch my with a bargepole.

I have my own router running PFSENSE at home, and a modified TalkTalk wifi hub which is in modem mode via an exploit (detailed on OpenWRT) and stability has been generally good. I only have an issue one day per month on average.

I am considering moving to Virgin Media and looking online at the reviews, it isn't great (high ping, DOCSIS issues, congestion, UDP packet issues). I would like to therefore ask if it is worth holding off for now or to take the risk. What better place to ask than on the Virgin Media subreddit

My neighbours use Virgin Media and have reported daily dropouts, but none of my neighbours would not let me investigate to see if it was the Virgin superhub or wifi. I am fearful that I will get myself into a situation where I sign up to virgin media and experience congestion that Virgin won't bother to fix. Switching back to my old ISP will be a nightmare and have been with TalkTalk for more than a decade.

Any thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning, 

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

Firstly you have a 14 day cooling off period so you can always terminate your contract should you wish. 

I can however look into your area for any network problems and ongoing outages if you'd like me to prior to signing up? If you'd like me to please don't post your address publicly, and send me it over on a private message. 

Thanks,

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@manikqile wrote:

I am currently with TalkTalk and am scoping out different ISPs as my contract is up at the end of March. I have frankly had enough with the current speeds I am getting (70 Megabits per second on FTTC)

FTTP from Openreach isn't available yet and on the Openreach site, it states that FTTP will be built in my area between April 2022 and April 2025, so my only option is Virgin Media which has the Gigabit package. Altnet ISPs will not touch my with a bargepole.

<snip>

You won't get a reliable answer on what your individual connection will turn out to be like because it will be your own individual connection i.e. if you are relying on old/existing VM cabling to use to join VM then that could influence your individual connection, for example.

If you need a new connection/cable, then have a look at some of the issues which have cropped up in the 'Quick Start' forum on difficulties and long delays getting a new cable installed by VM. These may be an exception rather than a norm but you should factor in the possibility.

If you are able to, you should overlap your TalkTalk connection with any new VM service. That way you can avoid any interruptions to service and, if VM turns out to be no good for you, you haven't given up on TalkTalk.

I have been with VM/NTL for 20 years. The last time I had a significant issue with broadband with more than 8 years ago (which was actually an issue with over-utilisation in the area). VM are supposed to have stopped allowing new connections to over-subscribed areas. How reliable that is, I couldn't say.

From my own experience, there has been less to worry about on the technical side but issues with the company typically relate to their administrative and customer service operations. These have always been poor but, in recent times, VM have effectively made themselves non-contactable. Overseas phone support is very limited in its abilities and often achieving simple tasks can take huge amounts of time simply in making contact with VM.

I have now just moved to a BT FTTP connection which became available a couple of years ago and it is very good indeed and obviously built on brand new infrastructure as opposed to the possibility that a VM connection may be relying on 20+ year old infrastructure from the early days of cable TV.

If you opt to try VM with a view to leaving in 14 days cooling off, be aware that getting in touch with VM to make that cancellation and have it put through reliably may be extremely difficult and time consuming with the way VM is running its customer services and call centres at present.

This forum is the most reliable way to get things done but, unfortunately, the forum team generally aren't able to deal with package and payment issues.

Nothing to say you shouldn't give VM a go but be aware of some of the above issues before deciding to take the plunge and factor those in to the decision making process.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From my own perspective, I've also been with NTL/VM for many years.  However for redundancy reasons, I also have an Openreach VDSL connection, which runs concurrently via a Dual Wan router.  I will say for both suppliers the number of problems have been small.

However I would point out, I route my gaming over the Openreach connection, as even though it's much slower, it has better latency, and being proper IPv6, needs no port forwarding etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

20 years of VM and its predecessors.

If openreach could offer better than 1Mb I would be off.

Reliability is very good. I have only had one serious outage in the 20 years and that was down to a blown power feed to an area cabinet requiring the electricity supplier dig up about 20 m of road to lay a new cable and locally there were complaints when Cadent dug through a duct cutting off several hundred. So not exactly VMs fault.

Like you  I use pfsense, so have no issues with WiFi as I have 4 access points about the house, garage, office etc. So the biggest user issue does not affect me.

What do I not like.

Pathetically poor upload speeds. 52Mb on a 1 gig service.

Cannot get a static  ip address or a small subnet. Even though the one ip address is sticky. Blacklists identify it as dynamic and many services will reject the source. Telewest did sell me a second IP option. But subsequent changes conveniently removed that.

No IPv6.

Tech support is terrible. Impossible to connect with. Poor script jockeys with zero technical noise and bad English. I am slightly deaf and trying to understand a thick Indian accent is more than likely going to end in a terminated call.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky