Menu
Highlighted
CallumA1999
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Looking for broadband cables

hello, My household is looking to get virgin media set up since we have been with sky for a few years and are looking to upgrade our WiFi speeds up to your maximum deal of 300+ , but it says that out address is unable to get virgin at this moment even tho 5 doors down out road they can get virgin, I was wondering if there is any chance you could somehow make it available for us to get virgin media

thank you for your time

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Looking for broadband cables

even if you get vm you may never see 300mbps speeds over wifi. that will depend on loads of factors needing to be perfect

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
CallumA1999
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

yeah I know, I have a PS4 and a gaming pc that I connect via Ethernet running a wire across the ceiling, just need to know if if I can somehow get virgin out in as people 5 doors down and onwards can all get it but I can’t 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

you will have to request a spotter. It will all depend on cost, work and access. are you in new houses build after the cable was installed? how far is the closest VM green box and ducting to you?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

CallumA1999
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The houses are only a few years old and the green box is only about 70-100 meters away in pretty sure and the road isn’t long maybe 150-200 meters max

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

you'll need a spotter but sounds like your not in a cable area then. you'll never if had ducting installed so it might be a big job with planning permission digging up roads and installing. you'll have to see what VM say but be ready for it to be a no or even if its a yes it could take years to complete

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
CallumA1999
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is there not anyway to extend the current ducting now as we are only a few doors down to everyone else that is about to get, like 50 meters max 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

yes but that is a massive building project. you'll still need to dig and install ducting. Run tables back to cabinet. (If the cab as space) if not install new cabinets and run cables back to the fibre node.

It's just just "extend the ducting" it's not quite that black and white

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi CallumA1999,

Thanks for your post.

As apcyberax has advised, this would need some investigation to see whether this would be possible.

You would need to speak to our sales team on 0800 183 1234 or alternatively fill out your details on the form on our website where it says 'Our services aren't currently available in your area' and one of our team will be in touch to discuss this with you.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You can get high speeds with WiFi with the right equipment. I get 365 down with my 500 connection on this iPad Pro using Hub3 in modem mode with a Ubiquiti router and WAP. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos