Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

London W4 my internet rated bottom in Chiswick, and it’s down again...

Been with Virgin 7 years now, and each year it seems to get worse and the price keeps going up...

I’m getting fed up now, wanted to watch a film tonight and it’s down again... 

i bought a Fing box, partly to monitor it, and have discovered it’s rated in the bottom 4 in chiswick and bottom quarter of London (it’s supposed to be a 70mb connection), it’s also noted I often get outages 5-10 tines a month, from 5-30 minutes.

Years back, I discovered this forum to get help, since having kids I’ve got less time to fuss with this stuff and troubleshoot - but I can’t go on with this unreliability. Back then I was helped and a backend adjustment was made, I also followed advice and put my Superhub2 into modem mode and use a Netgear Nighthawk X8 for WiFi. That helped for a few years, but now... nahhhh.

So what can I do? I’m not sure how to get stats when in modem mode - to give frequency numbers etc. Can someone help?

I'm honestly thinking of putting a SIM card into my router and using 4g, as my phone is more reliable than my fixed line these days.

thanks

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: London W4 my internet rated bottom in Chiswick, and it’s down again...

And 4 hours later it looks to be back again...

rinse and repeat ... as I read about the woes of a superhub v3 (glad I stuck with a v2), but now more determined than ever to end this rip off cycle of cranking prices for worse service.

So still interested in how to get stars on my line status  to check that (not hopefully)

also curious why the generic virgin status indicated broadband issues at my postcode, but logging in said everything was fine (totally wrong).

grrrr

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"I'm honestly thinking of putting a SIM card into my router and using 4g, as my phone is more reliable than my fixed line these days."

Surely that's the obvious thing to trial if you're paying through the nose for VM, and the service is poor?  If you've got a good 4G signal, unplug the Hub, get yourself a one month or pre-pay sim, give that a try for a month - maybe check different networks with two or three sims as backhaul connection quality may vary separately from signal strength.  Obviously this means you'd be cancelling any landline, which may or may not be an issue.

If there's no major congestion and you've got a short distance to the cell tower you should get decent broadband speed for a reasonably low price.  I know somebody who did this not far from you inside the M25, and they haven't looked back over the past couple of years - reckon they see 30-50 Mbps through peak periods even in their patch of greater London, and pings of 22 ms (so no issue for streaming or gaming).  Even at 30 Mbps it'll cover at least six concurrent HD streams, so you shouldn't be missing much for a one month trial.

Uswitch show deals as cheap as £20-a month for unlimited data, obviously you may be constrained in choice by the MNO and MVNOs on a particular network for this to work well.  Some but not all network operators are sniffy about phone + data sims being used in non-telephony devices, but since you can chop and change without cost that's something to worry about if it causes problems.  With the plethora of 4G tablets this should be becoming less relevant.  Do some speed tests, keep an eye on how much data you actually use, and make sure you don't blow through the data allowance if using a contract sim.  

I would do this myself if my house had decent 4G coverage, and dump my fixed line and broadband altogether but unfortunately there's a hill between me and the local base stations, so I get weak signal and very low speeds (about 10 Mbps).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate the confirmation... TP Link router ordered along with a Smarty Sim... worth an experiment and will report back

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Said I would report back - after 1 month I found that the reliability is better than my virgin account, however with Smarty unlimited but only 2 out of 3 bars (as best I could measure as my tplink didn't seem to report signal strength from what I could see), I wasn't getting the bandwidth needed for 2 users to be active (which probably isn't surprising). Its certainly a decent backup but if until unlimited 5g at a reasonable price - I'm not sure you can compete with wires.

This said, I notice that other broad band options like Vodaphone and Sky offer much cheaper deals for 12 month contracts than my spotty virgin option and so its time to vote with my wallet and call time.

0 Kudos