cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of router

elrasho
On our wavelength

Hello,

I am looking to switch over to Virgin next month, the 200MB, phone and TV package.

I really want the Virgin router to be located in the same location as my current one; in the landing upstairs. This is because I run an Ethernet cable from it to my room in the loft.

Will Virgin accommodate this or will I be stuck with having the router in a location the engineer wants to install it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The hub is both a modem and a router. In router mode you connect to its four LAN ports but if you wish to use your own router you put the hub into modem mode and connect your router to it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

46 REPLIES 46

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It should be possible, there is no reason why it has to be in the same place as the TV. Be aware that with a new installation the home phone is plugged into the back of the Hub, so you may have to also run a cable downstairs unless you use DECT phones. Technicians usually put the Hub and TV box in the same location as it's much easier for them.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

elrasho
On our wavelength

Thanks I'm reluctant to go ahead with the switch as I need a guarantee from Virgin first. Tried calling them but was on hold for 15 minutes 😕

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@elrasho wrote:

Thanks I'm reluctant to go ahead with the switch as I need a guarantee from Virgin first. Tried calling them but was on hold for 15 minutes 😕

You could ring VM up and they will tell you anything that you want to hear in order to push through the sale so would not necessarily be that reliable source of information.

Installing to a first floor location should not necessarily be a problem unless there are obstacles in the way (such as climbing over a roof to access the location etc. etc.) or some other particular difficulty with the cable route.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The installers are usually very helpful if you explain carefully what you want. And if they won't do it you can just tell them to go away, since you have 14 days to leave without penalty. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Do you already have a Virginmedia cable from the street?  If not that will have to be installed first and you may want to be around to check how that will be installed. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

elrasho
On our wavelength

No I don't have a cable. Before Virgin we had NTL come around and they refused to install the cable. So I have been stuck with slower broadband. Currently get 65Meg and its not fast enough with all the family streaming etc...

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@elrasho wrote:

No I don't have a cable. Before Virgin we had NTL come around and they refused to install the cable. So I have been stuck with slower broadband. Currently get 65Meg and its not fast enough with all the family streaming etc...

Why, specifically, did NTL refuse to install a cable?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You need to bear in mind that the cable installation can often be delayed, or even cancelled.  Do not cancel your existing service until Virgin is in and working, or you could be left with no broadband. 

- jpeg1

elrasho
On our wavelength

Yes I'm tempted to purchase the package now and if for whatever reason it doesn't go live I can always stick with my current provider