cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightning strike

A-marshall
Tuning in

We had a lightning strike hit us last night around midnight. The TV box and wifi hub are totally fried. 

I have phoned up twice now to say we need replacement wifi hub and tv box but nobody is listening to me.

I keep being told that engineers are fixing the problem and power will soon be going back through a cable into my wifi hub and tv box ? Doesn't make any sense. 

My equipment is fried. Dead. No power at all.

Please will someone listen to me and send me replacements ! PLEASE.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It looks like the usual “as we are working on an area problem we will not despatch any technicians to customers premises” syndrome. 
Your best bet is to,wait for a VM staff member to pick up your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It looks like the usual “as we are working on an area problem we will not despatch any technicians to customers premises” syndrome. 
Your best bet is to,wait for a VM staff member to pick up your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

johnmcfarlane30
On our wavelength

Sounds like virgin media ignoring customers again! Try emailing their ceo office 

If your box and hub are fried then so will other equipment such as the isolator and splitter, and some of the cables may not be too good either. So, you do need a tech to attend.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Possibly also the street cabinet will need attention. Have you checked with neighbours? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @A-marshall,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post, and I'm really sorry to hear that you have been impacted by a lightening strike! I hope you and your family are all okay!

I'm sorry to hear that you had some issues booking in replacements for your equipment, but @Roger_Gooner is correct, a technician appointment will be needed to have this issue looked at further.

I was able to locate your account to look into this further, and I can see that you got in touch with the team and was able to have a technician appointment booked in! That's great news! 

Please keep us updated an let us know how your appointment went! We're more than happy to help further if needed.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, can you message me privately as I have a similar issue I've tried to call but on hold for ages and nobody had picked up my thread yet. 

Had a neighbour check mine and all my equipment is dead due to my cable underground... lightning must of hit it. 

Soooo I'm still waiting for an engineer to come out. 

All the other neighbours have just had new equipment fitted so just me without... I'm fuming.

Hi EverybodyHertz,

Thanks for posting on our community forums, and apologies for the delay in response. We are sorry to hear that you too have experienced a similar issue with the lightning strikes affecting your equipment. 

Remotely looking from our end, we can see that you have an appointment booked for an engineer to attend to come and get this resolved for you.

If you wish to cancel or re-schedule this appointment you can use the link here.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hiya,

Yeah everyone else just had new equipment installed.. so they're all up and running..  lucky sods.

I have someone coming out today finally......  we shall see what happens.