Menu
Zack_K
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Landlord refuses to upgrade to Fibre broadband

Hi folks,

My landlord refuses to upgrade to Fibre broadband which is critical for working from home under current circumstances. 

It is an apartment building with 50 flats fully owned by the same landlord company.

Any suggestions how to make them install it?

Thanks,

Zack

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landlord refuses to upgrade to Fibre broadband

It is the Landlord's  choice not anybody else's.

Get yourself a unlimited data plan for your mobile and tether to that or change landlord.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can still technically get fibre broadband, although it will be over copper cables you landlord has already installed, ie, VDSL, so all they are denying is high speed broadband. 

What speed do you get over VDSL ? I assume this is what you have currently. Considering BT advises this is "Upto 76MB", some land lords prefer this before they don't like the look/don't want the hassle of Virgin media installations. A friend who lives in a flat was denied Virgin media simply because the landlord said that all wiring must be hidden from view and not allowed on any external service of the building. As Virgin wanted to put a brown box on the front of the building and run cabling up the wall to the flat, you can understand why the request was denied. 

0 Kudos
Zack_K
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Z92,

I currently have ADSL option only. Speed is up to 16 mbs, but average is around 7-8 mbs which is very slow for working from home. All the building around the apartments block has Fibre connection, but my one does not. 

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Happy to take a look into this for you to see if you can get VM services where you are.

I'll pop you a private message to discuss further and take some details.

Thank you for your post.

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Zack_K wrote:

Any suggestions how to make them install it?

you can't force them. it's their building their rules.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Zack_K you certainly can't force them but what you can do is to request it and include a statement like;

'with the increase in demand for people to work from home which doesn't look as if it will greatly reduce in the future, the ability to offer 'fast broadband access' as part of the tenancy would be an asset and increase the attractiveness of the apartments to current and future tenants'

or words to that effect.

John

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The landlord surely needs to know the cost of subscribing to a higher tier.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos