Menu
sophiefawnbrake
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Landline in router

Hi, I’m in the process of redecorating a house I’ve just moved into, including the removal of MANY old wires/cabling for old internet connections, Sky and home phones - wires trailing all through the house. Most of these are gone now but one phone connection (two ugly boxes) have been left. I have no idea if the connection works as I don’t use a land line or own a home phone to test it. I’d like to remove everything, but I want to be sure (should I ever change my mind) that it’s 100% certain that you can now connect a home phone to your standard VM router, is that correct? It’s an internet router that was brought with me from my old flat (so maybe 3 years old?) and installed in my new house by VM in Dec 2020. They’ve given me an adapter which pokes out the back but I’m not sure if that relates to home phone capability or something entirely different.

Could someone confirm for me:

- It’s 100% possible to connect a home phone through a standard VM internet router (note that I do not have Virgin TV, so it is an internet router, not a TV hub)

- There is no reason to keep old land line connections/boxes anymore

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Landline in router

You can go ahead and remove old telephone sockets as the telephone service through virgin is now supplied using the hub.

Be mindful that if there is a BT landline socket that this ideally needs to be left in place but as its inactive could also be removed making sure cables are accessible should it be required for Broadband in future.

For more advice on the BT socket just ask.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
sophiefawnbrake
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Matt. Can I ask for what purpose the cables need to be left for the future please? And how can this be done if the box is removed? How would you leave them and where would someone find them?

0 Kudos
sophiefawnbrake
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just for complete certainty, the “hub” you’re referring to is the router, yes? They’re the same thing?

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There is a lot of debate you should not touch the Openreach master socket as it's property of Openreach.. same rules about Virgin socket.

My Openreach socket was fitted in a silly location.. behind a door. It was my choice to remove the Openreach socket recently. Filled the hole and painted 😎

I have no plans on return to the 35mbs internet Openreach provide at my property. But if you do plan to use their service again don't touch that socket otherwise there maybe a charge to repair it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@sophiefawnbrake wrote:

Thanks Matt. Can I ask for what purpose the cables need to be left for the future please? And how can this be done if the box is removed? How would you leave them and where would someone find them?

So the Virgin telephone line can be removed completely, all the way back to the Brown Omni box on the outside of the property before the cable heads underground.

For BT it depends how the landline reaches your house? Is it overhead from a telegraph pole or underground? .

If Underground do it rise outside at the front of the property into a little box of some sort or does it rise directly into the house?

find this out should be possible tracing where the cables come from.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@sayekmas far as I'm concerned its simple, my house, my rules.

They didn't seem to say they ever had an Openreach connection so therefore not there responsibility

0 Kudos