cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag in online games

Jagu6rpaw
Tuning in

hi,I have gig fiber broadband and I’m having problems in all online games with lag/ping causing spikes and delay.(quite severe at times almost unplayable) I have everything optimized on my pc with all the latest hardware and drivers it’s nothing to do with my system it’s all been tested throughly. I’ve been on live chat with virgin for nearly a year trying to solve it but they keep dismissing that there is a problem an they keep saying there’s nothing wrong on our side and follow the stupid reseting router method (which never fixes anything). I’ve also tested the network on modem mode with my own asus gaming router and I’ve adjusted the setting and tested it to achieve zero bufferbloat ( which I tested and achieved A+ rating) but still the same problem when online gaming. I have no problem with the speed it usually achieves around 800 Down an about 47 up on average which isn’t bad but it doesn’t matter what my speeds are it seems to something deeper causing the issues. 

11 REPLIES 11

Virgin Router problem maybe? 

Z92
Trouble shooter

The hub3 was known to have some latency problems, but nothing you could do about that. The hub4 may have some problems, but again, nothing you can change in the short term.

For gaming, it's typically far batter to use an Open Reach connection such as BT - the speeds are not as good but the latency is always less and more consistent, which is what you require for gaming. Some people use both - VM for downloading and OR for playing games. If you have a busy household, pushing the wife and kids onto the VM connection for YouTube/NetFlix etc is typically the best approach 🙂