Menu
ForeverHopeful
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Key worker waiting since October for installation

Working as key worker and require internet to work. 

Was told by VM that I could get their Fibre package, got everything booked for an installation for October as recently moved so no current internet in the house. Jumped at the chance as there was also a Black Friday offer as well (£30 + no installation charge) 

Was then told that the installation has been cancelled and I needed to chase the construction team for an update (not good customer service fyi - to tell your new potential customer to do all the chasing)

Asked the support representative if I could have a 4G mobile dongle (happy to pay for the dongle) and have unlimited download. They said they've never heard of a 4G mobile dongle and had no idea what I was talking about. (Sheesh) And was told I need to speak to the mobile team. 

The Mobile sales rep said "sure thing, we'll add this sim card to your package, it will be free of charge, unlimited data and we'll cancel it when your internet goes in, you just need to call the phone support when the sim card arrives and we can change it from 5 GB of data to unlimited. 

(Sounded to good to be sure and I knew I should have just hung up)

Agreed to proceed along with the the deal on the basis that the sim would be free, and would only have the sim for the length until the installation. 

When the Sim card arrived, I phoned up the phone support for VM, spoke to 2 different support reps, neither of them had any idea what I was talking about. I tried then to cancel the sim card online, turns out it's an ON THE PHONE CANCELLATION ONLY. So then had to call back, wait in the queue to then cancel the sim card. 

Cancelled the the sim card, and was told that now the monthly bill is now going up to £45 a month for my internet and there is an installation charge as well. IMAGINE my frustration. 

After another 2 hours speaking with management, they then agreed to go back to original price of £30 a month for 18 months - as the black Friday deal was still live. I am pretty much fed up at this point, I was livid. 

Decided to go to EE and get an unlimited data plan for £35 a month whilst I wait for the VM install.

After going back to plan A and chased the construction team, they then told me that they require permit from the council was required to "dig up the road" I asked how long this would take, they couldn't give me a time.

I chased then 2 weeks later in November and I was told by VM that they would be out on the 18th of Jan.

VM then appeared  on the 16th of Jan, turfed over some grass (to quote) "Don't see the point in digging up the road when we can just lay it under the grass) - Which at this point, I completely agree with - not sure how it was taken MONTHS to get to this point. These fellas were done in under an hour. 

Was told by the construction team that it's another team that deals with the internal installation of the Fibre line, but still have nothing online, email or call from VM to confirm the work has been carried out ready to book the internet.  

So now on hold to VM customer support to find out what the next step in this absolutely travesty will be. Stay tuned. 

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Key worker waiting since October for installation

And yet you are still going ahead and going to be stuck in a contract for 18 months.

maybe that should have been hint

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ForeverHopeful
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Once it's in I'm sure it will be fine...

But this should be a good post to review in a years time.

Unfortunately VM is the only internet company offering anything more than ADSL in my area. Plenty of companies are close, but cut off before that get to my road. Part of me was hoping that another company would show up in the nick of time, alas they have not.   

I'll Kudos you and will look back at your post fondly at the end of my contract to see if you were indeed correct!

If you know any numbers I can phone / email addresses I can contact to book an installation it will be appreciated!

Cheers

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can you receive 5G in your location? Three? Or O2 switched their network on last week.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/o2s-5g-network-now-live-in-over-150-uk-towns-and-citie...

If so sign up for one of those. Or just buy your own Mifi router and get a BB SIM for that - a 4G may be good enough too.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
ForeverHopeful
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Spent a couple hours on the phone the VM, turns out the audit that was done in November wasn't ever recorded on my file, and the construction work has not been recorded either so both have to be rebooked, luckily the fella I spoke to today has booked all 3 again and I should have internet by February ...

0 Kudos
ForeverHopeful
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Hope you are well,

Thank you for coming back to me. I enquired to support about the ability to use a MiFi  Mobile Dongle but the support had no idea what they were and at this point I was just winding myself up. (I ended up using mobile tethering from my phone - burning through about 400 GB of data every month) 

Good news, VM was installed yesterday, since the 25th Oct - 100 days on the dot it's taken for installation. Currently running 220MB so it's been a long wait, but hopefully all ok now. Scott that installed the installation was very helpful and 100% I would rebook with the same engineer if I ever get any issues, really knew what he was talking about and seemed to have a proper interest and knowledge around network so very easy to talk to and restored my confidence in VM. (If only the call center's were as 10% as passionate as him!)

0 Kudos