Menu
Avana
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just moved into property with Virgin

Heya, We have just recently moved into a property where Virgin was already here, But the connection to plug our modem into from the wall to our modem, The lead is too short, Can we get an engineer out to make it longer ? Also our phone is working via the modem, I thought it would go through a proper phoneline ? We have Sky due to be fitted this coming Sunday and I know they will need a phone port for that or would that go in via our modem too ? I do not like the idea of not having a normal working phone line. I'm disabled and am considered vulnerable so I needs a constant line into the wall, Not via  a modem. Our modem is also stuck halfway in the air as the connection is so tight and short. Please help and advise, I have been trying to get through to someone, But I get disconnected after an hour on hold, Many thanks

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Just moved into property with Virgin

Sky no longer require a phoneline, but the phoneline via the modem is the normal way to get a phoneline now

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think we need to enlarge on this reply.  The days of plugging a phone into a wall socket are over. VM and BT are phasing this method out now because they use an old infrastructure which is getting ridiculously expensive to maintain. Delivering a phone service over a direct internet connection is the way forward for all fixed line providers. All new VM customers are provisioned in this way. All existing ones will be switched over, area by area. BT aim to complete for their customers by 2025. There is no VM option to have a fixed line via the wall socket you were used to.

I see that you have described yourself as vulnerable. In which case you need to read these help files from VM. You may need to access the back-up service provided, if you qualify:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-alarm-compatibility

If you don't qualify you really should have a mobile phone for emergencies. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Avana
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks, I honestly didn't know this is how it works now. Thank you so much , Both of you for the quick and helpful answers, I hope you have a fab day 🙂
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

By the way, the days of Sky are numbered also, a lot of people now just subscribe to Sky over the internet and no longer use a dish. You don't really need the box either as there's no need to record your weekly episode any more as most are available on demand and those which are not can be still watched live. 

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I believe that the Quickstart pack should contain a 3m-long cable. Are you saying that your cable is shorter, if so I'd like to think that VM can send you a replacement cable.

As for your phone: if you need to call 999 or 112 in the event of a network failure or power outage, VM can supply and fit a box (run on a rechargeable battery) which enables such calls to be made via a mobile network.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos