cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Fibre optic option available on new VM box

Molavid
Tuning in

Just received my new VM box but only connection option available is via a Fibre patchcord, while my VM wall socket is coaxial. Any connector available to solve this issue?

13 REPLIES 13

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If you are in an XGS-PON area you get fibre direct to a hub 5X, no coaxial cable at all.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Are there VM wall sockets available for this option? i.e for the Fibre Optic cable 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No. The fibre runs from the ONT to the Hub 5X

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So sounds like I would need a technical installer for this ? 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

There is an exterior box which might be brown and an interior white termination box.

--

@Adduxi wrote:

No. The fibre runs from the ONT to the Hub 5X

For XGS-PON the hub 5X is a combined ONT/router. The separate ONT is for RFoG which has coaxial cables for the hub and STB.

--

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you just joined VM or is it an upgrade? In any case I would not expect a hub5x to be sent to you, my understanding was that they were a technician’s install only.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Just joined VM, and yes the hub 5x was sent to me 😞 without notice, no idea why ? Plan is 2GB, don’t know if that was a reason….. 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The 2Gbps is being trialled in a few areas which are served by XGS-PON, so this is why you need the hub 5X but I don't understand why it was sent to you as all fibre installations must be done by a tech. BTW the tech should also remove any coaxial cables.

--