Menu
Cbell23
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Issues with Pre-Install Engineer Visit & Missing Contract

We have just started the switch to VM for Broadband,phone and TV. I've got an install date on the 17th Oct & the street itself has Virgin Media, however the house has never been connected to VM before so I was told an engineer would need to come out to look at the site.

Most of my garden is Asphalt so I'm concerned about whether VM will even lay the cable - so I really need the engineer out before my current provider decides it's too late for me to back out of the move, which is before the VM install date!

Every day I check the order tracker it says the Engineer is due that day - that's been the case for 2 weeks now. I had a web chat with VM who told me someone had been out already (Strange when no-one has been at my property)  and said there was a "Pre-Pull order" placed for October 1st/2nd, yet no-one turned up again! I suspect this is the same order that I keep seeing appear every day as occurring that day. 

Starting to get concerned as if the installer turns up on the 17th and it's not ready I'll be without internet meaning I can't work!

I've also never received my contract via email or post - I was told this would be with me in 24 hours and yet still no sign of it and it doesn't show up online!

From looking at the forums this isn't an isolated problem - not a great start with VM, beginning to think this has been a bad idea... Is there anything more I can do or do I just need to hope an engineer turns up?

0 Kudos
Cbell23
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues with Pre-Install Engineer Visit & Missing Contract

Another 2 days passed, another 2 appointments occurring "Today" where no-one has shown up. No response here, and stuck in a queue on the phone both days for over an hour. 

All I want to know is the date they are coming out - at this rate I'm going to need to phone my current ISP and tell them I'm not leaving otherwise I'm going to be left unable to work.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you don't have a virgin connection yet then they could turn up anytime from now upto connection day or if there's problems it could be 8 weeks after connection day. So I'd suggest not giving notice to your current isp until your connection is up and running with virgin. An extra month's cost is worthwhile to reduce stress levels and ensuring you can work from home when needed. 

0 Kudos
Cbell23
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Z92: If this is the case the sales team & the web chat shouldn't be promising exact dates and setting expectations if they can't deliver on them - and certainly it should not be the customers responsibility to chase why their service isn't being delivered!

I agree it's not worth the stress to ensure I've got a connection, but given VMs categoric assurance of the dates I foolishly trusted them gave the notice when I signed up (with a 1 week overlap) so I'll need to phone my current ISP and cancel my cancellation, & then repeat the whole process again later - which in of itself was stressful enough.

I understand there are restrictions at the moment that don't usually apply (i.e. COVID), and that all the teams are probably run off their feet - I don't mind being told that while it was going to be date X it will now be delayed to date Y so long as someone can tell me that and confirm it will actually happen on that new date.
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately considering you don't have the infrastructure installed yet and that requires a third party possibly 2 no one can give you fixed dates - only expected dates but these can never be guaranteed.

Other isps can give exact dates as all vdsl providers use the same way of getting the service into your house like alternative gas and electric providers. 

0 Kudos
Cbell23
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SO after yet another set of missed appointments to calls to VM I was told "You will just have to trust me that your engineer is on his way today and you will absolutely have your line installed today".

As usual - no-one turned up! I've since tried to call twice and have been on hold for an hour, just to be hung up on!

My current ISP was happy enough to cancel *my* explicit cancellation, but has said that VM has also informed them of my move - meaning if VM don't tell them by the 17th that the install can't go ahead my service is going to be cut off anyway regardless of what I do.

Beyond upset with how VM are treating new customers - seems slightly telling that the forum team are also avoiding this post while answering older and newer ones....

So it now looks like I'm going to be left with no connection & unable to work -
0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cbell23,

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to us at the community forums, Sorry to hear that your instally has been going as planned, I've had a look into your account to see what might be occurring and can see that there is an install set for today. Do let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos