cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with installation

Channell12
Joining in

Hello,

We have been waiting and waiting for our virgin media to be installed. We've been waiting for the pre pull work and it keeps being cancelled last minute. And everytime we speak to someone it's the same script and no real resolution. They are meant to be coming tomorrow but as they've cancelled so many times before I bet they don't come. 

Has anyone got any advice on what to do? We are really stressed and have taken time off work, having to use our phone data which is a large cost and we just want it resolved. 

7 REPLIES 7

Splext
Tuning in

We have the same issue. Cancelling the day before. Would like to know how many times on average they cancel before installing. Thinking we might just go elsewhere. 3 weeks of no broadband, now asking us for another 20 days before the next appointment... what's the betting they cancel again

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately where a new cable has to be installed from the road there is no guarantee of an installation date. The quoted dates can be repeatedly moved, as you have already found. The longest installation delay recorded on here is twelve months.

There is nothing you can do to hurry it along, so you just have to wait, or find an alternative service. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

We actually had someone turn up today. I was told on the phone, it was to do a survey. He arrived with the face of a slapped arse. Really didn't want to be there and zero customer service.

He knocked on the door. I open and say hello.

"I'm from VM what do you want?"

My other half was like... what? You knocked on my door. I was told you were coming to survey.

"We are waiting on cables to be laid. We cannot do anything else. I'm here because you complained. If you don't want anything then you've wasted my morning"

And with that he left. 

No sir, I didn't request you, I requested service when I was promised it.

Same as everyone else, I get spiralled back and forth between people saying they don't know what's happening, and no one doing anything to resolve anything or commit to anything.

Even something small as saying... we are really sorry, here's an unlimited dongle for you that will continue until your wired is sorted.

Would literally cost them pennies and keep customers sweeter. It's unbelievable how many people on this forum alone have been left in the dark and not helped at all

@jbrennand thank you for the endorsement …. I do try my best😀

@Channell12 @Splext  OK what you both need to do, for your own sanity if nothing else, is to, at least, start investigating alternative suppliers, find out what their lead times are (if you already have a BT/Openreach cable into the property, then this should be fairly short), what alternative will ‘do’ for you, considering that a slow(ish) DSL connection might well be better than a non-existent ‘fast’ VM one. 

Then set yourself a time limit, ie if the VM connection isn’t in by <whenever> then you will sign up with another supplier. Absolutely DO NOT cancel the VM install for reasons which will become obvious later.

Now if VM do manage to connect you up before the alternative supplier and you find that it all works satisfactorily, then you cancel the other supplier. On the other hand if you go elsewhere, then don’t bother or waste time cancelling the VM install or calling them or chasing it up, just assume that they have forgotten about you, but if at some point the stars align and they connect you up, then immediately cancel (and as long as you do this within 14 days, it’s no cost to you).

This way you a) know that the cable is in place and working should you want to give VM another go in a year or so; and/or b) have the slight satisfaction of knowing that as a consequence of incompetence, VM have spent a not inconsiderable sum in getting it done for which they will receive not a single penny back.

@jem101 I like that idea, I have already decided to trial a 5g hub to see what up and down speeds are like. Also it gives us long awaited broadband. My issue was deciding whether to cancel the 5g within the 14 days in hope of VM. But actually if the 5g works alright, I'll do this plan. I did want to have the line there for next time it lapses, but was worried about paying twice. But good tip that actually the 14 day period doesn't actually start until its finally connected!

Hi Splext,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry to hear you are still waiting for an install and haven't been given any updates or provided a solution such as a Dongle, in regards to the site survey visit we will feed this back, what I would like to do is invite you into a private chat, I will then chase this up with our Area Field Mangers so we can at least get an update and possible a better time frame, I will send the invite shortly, once received please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.