cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with cable installation

J-T
Joining in

Until recently, there was a hedge between ours and next door’s house. The hedge has been removed which has revealed several issues with the install of our VirginMedia cable.

Firstly, our cable is piggy backed from the box on next door’s house. I would have thought we should have our own supply? We have a gravel drive so unsure as to why this was not done originally as install would have been fairly simple.

There are exposed wires hanging out of the box on next door’s house (they no longer have Virgin Media). They wish to render their house which will require disturbing the box so I’m concerned this will cause an issue as the connection does not look correct.

The cable running from next door’s box to ours and providing our connection is a complete mess. It is way too long, there is a connection block in the middle of it again with frayed and exposed wires. All of this had been shoved into the hedge and hidden by the installer.

Despite this, our service is working but for how long I don’t know as this is now exposed where it wasn’t before. How do I report this to try and get it sorted?

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You could post up some photos on here of the current arrangement. This can help the VM forum team assess the current setup and refer onwards.

If the existing cable travels across a no-man's-land on the boundary between you and your neighbour it sounds like you need a rearrangement, and improvement, of the current cabling so it becomes exclusively your cable and serves your property.

If the existing box is attached to your neighbour's house though VM may want to give you your own new cable. Probably better for you in the long run and what you should probably have had all along.

Thanks, some photos: 

IMG_6162.jpeg

Next door’s wall box with exposed wires beneath and cable running to my property

IMG_6163.jpeg

 Cable runs behind fence post (hedge here previously)

IMG_6164.jpeg

Cable on my side

IMG_6166.jpeg

Wires hanging out

IMG_6167.jpeg

 Enters my property

IMG_6168.jpeg

 Incidentally, there is a wall box on my house that has been disconnected. The cable that enters through this box is running from on old Sky dish which we’ve never used.

J-T
Joining in

Is there anyone from VM I can tag to try to get a response? 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I'm sure your neighbour would be happier if that mess was removed completely and you had your own connection. But Virginmedia are usually reluctant to spend money on changes like this if the service is still working without a fault. 

Hopefully a staff member will pick this up and offer to help, but it may well be a slow process. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi J-T, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to see that the install wasn't done a little more tidy but a connection from another box isn't a bad thing. It's usually done if other avenues have been exhausted. We can certainly get someone out to tidy things up and you can discuss with the the need for a new connection if there will be work going on at the neighbours. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi J-T, 

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 🤩

I have booked you in for the next available appointment and sent you details of the appointment via direct message. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this by replying directly to the direct message and we can support you further. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Let us know how the appointment goes. 😊

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs