Menu
keelaw
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Issue going from M100 to M350

Background

So to support better working from home, I decided to upgrade my broadband package from M100 to M350 in order to get better upload speeds.  M100 was giving me up to 10 mbps upload, but at times it would fall to 2 or 3 mbps and I would suffer disconnections or lost audio on my Microsoft Teams call.  I hoped that upping my package would give me more headroom to avoid this.  It was confirmed by the sales person (and by my neighbours since) that M350 is available on my road.

I have rebooted multiple times.  Reset the router.  Plugged a laptop in via ethernet cable.  Checked my mesh router is capable of 350 mbps. etc etc all with no joy. 

This issue

I made this upgrade on 12 Nov and was told that this would take effect within the next 24 hours.  That didn't happen.  I then tried to follow up with Customer Services via messages on multiple attempts but it would take so long.  The one time I did get through, they couldn't help and said they would escalate to the technical team but they never came back to me.  I have raised complaints, but again no progress.  It is now 16 Dec and still no joy.

Resolution

Clearly I would like the M350 to be implemented and also a refund for the additional cost I've since paid but not had the benefit for. 

Would welcome any advice or tips.  Even just getting through to someone at Customer Services is a terrible experience!!

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issue going from M100 to M350

Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/ That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Take a look at the tab titled "Configuration", and scroll down until you see the fields "Max Traffic rate".  That's your hub's "speed limits", and they are in bits per second, so in my case on a nominal 200 Mbps connection the downstream MTR is 230000061, or 230 Mbps.  In practical terms a working connection usually comes in a bit below that, but above the nominal value, so I expect to see a fairly steady 218-221Mbps.  Adjust for your expectations, and check both downstream and upstream values.

However, you may have made an error in "upgrading" your speed.  If VM couldn't deliver the old speed, what hope is there for them to deliver faster?  Any noise, power or utilisation problems will remain.  Or if you're connecting over a 2.4 GHz wifi channel you'd never see more than 80 Mbps even on the best of days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

keelaw
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser, thanks for the tips.

Using 192.168.100.1 as I have my Hub 3 set to modem mode, I get the following:

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID6390
Max Traffic Rate402500089
Max Traffic Burst42600
Min Traffic Rate0

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID6389
Max Traffic Rate38500089
Max Traffic Burst42600
Min Traffic Rate0
Max Concatenated Burst42600
Scheduling TypeBestEffort

Which does seem pretty good.  Just wish my actuals speeds reflected this.

VM were generally able to deliver my old speed, but the issue was inconsistency.  At present, the down speed has never broken 100mbps.  On the M100 package it would get to 100 mbps, occasionally up to 110mbps.  

My mesh wifi router handles both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. It is a TP-Link Deco S4 AC1200, rated at up to 867mbps at 5ghz and 300mbps at 2.4 ghz.  Reading the reviews on Amazon, others have had this at speeds of 400mbps.  I've used an ethernet cable to test this with laptop plugged into the Hub 3 when in router mode, but still it's running at less than 100 mbps. 

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Are you using cat5   cat5e  or cat 6 cable ?

Keith d

0 Kudos
keelaw
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I was using a cat6 cable

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

For starters, set up a BQM.  Post a link to a shared, live graph back here.  We won't be able to comment until there's around 24 hours of data, but it'll tell us some of what's going on with your connection, and the potential outlook.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

keelaw
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

Link 

0 Kudos
keelaw
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Argh, having trouble with my mesh router (TP Link Deco S4) which doesn't allow me to enable ping responses meaning that the BQM tool doesn't work.

In better news though, browsing through my router settings I discovered that I had a QoS (Quality of Service?) setting on meaning that my router managed the service to my devices when it hit the cap on my broadband, and I had this set to the old broadband max speeds of 100mbps down and 10mbps up.  Removing this cap means I have been able to get much better speeds, 170mbps down and 34mbps up.  The down is a little disappointing (especially as it has been dropping to 40ish mbps) hoping this will improve in the day, but I'm happy with up as the advertised max up was 36mbps.  

So in summary, all of this was my own fault!  I don't know why using an ethernet cable didn't give me better speeds when I plugged it directly to Hub 3, I probably did it too briefly. 

Thanks for your prompt replies and offers for help guys

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Argh, having trouble with my mesh router (TP Link Deco S4) which doesn't allow me to enable ping responses meaning that the BQM tool doesn't work.

This is an unfortunate botch by TP-Link in a recent firmware update, where they changed the default from ICMP enabled to ICMP disabled, without allowing it as a toggle option.  This has been raised by customers in TP-Link's forum, so it might yet reappear.  For the time being the only way of getting a BQM running would be to flick your Hub 3 into router mode (noting that your external IP address changes when you do this) and the Deco into Access point mode.  I wouldn't leave the hub and mesh like that other than for the purposes of getting a BQM, because I believe any mesh system will be a better router than an ISP hub.

In better news though, browsing through my router settings I discovered that I had a QoS (Quality of Service?) setting on meaning that my router managed the service to my devices when it hit the cap on my broadband, and I had this set to the old broadband max speeds of 100mbps down and 10mbps up.  Removing this cap means I have been able to get much better speeds, 170mbps down and 34mbps up.  The down is a little disappointing (especially as it has been dropping to 40ish mbps) hoping this will improve in the day, but I'm happy with up as the advertised max up was 36mbps.  

If you're only getting 170 down, and that varies during the day, then chances are that you are subject to a downstream over-utilisation problem.  That's where running a BQM will help diagnose, although the unfortunate reality is that VM are slow to fix over-utilisation, and in many cases don't do anything (other than keeping on taking the money off customers for a service they aren't providing).  

It might not be over-utilisation though.  If you go into the Hub's status page and post the contents of the Dowsntream, Upstream and Network log tabs we can check for any obvious power or noise issues.

keelaw
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, yes I've just set the hub 3 into router mode and my mesh into access point mode.  Hopefully will get more than a sea of red on the following BQM now!

Link to new graph 

0 Kudos