cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this external work unfinished?

SlvrYeti
On our wavelength

I am due to get Virgin Media in my new home on 8th Feb. Placed the order Friday night (20th Jan), had a phone call around 8:30am Monday (23rd Jan) that they were pulling cable to my house right then and there. Someone's keen!?

They said I already have a brown box (which I knew) and that they only needed to pull the cable and secure it to it for the installation date. All the usual.

Anyway, it looks like a neat job but the cable is not even anchored to the wall. Compared to the Openreach FTTP next to it, it is unprotected and fear my son or the garden tools may catch it. I know coax is stronger than fibre but I'm sure the previous places I had VM over the years (where it came out straight out of soil) they had a conduit coming out, up to the box.

I rang the pre-installation line. One advisor said they are not finished, the other said they were and could only ask the engineer to sort it when they come on the 8th. Experience tells me they wont be doing that...

Is it unfinished/will I have to secure it myself?

ext_box_240123.jpg

21 REPLIES 21

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It should be a simple job for the technician to fix when they come to do the inside installation.  But you will need to ask them to do it.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

SlvrYeti
On our wavelength

The contact centre has left a note apparently - thanks 🙂

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Don't trust that 'note'.  They don't always exist.  You will have to point it out yourself to make sure.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

SlvrYeti
On our wavelength

Haha, I will do. Very easy job for the tech really as the house already has coax in it behind Euro Module blanks - so hopefully they'll use any extra time to help.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That depends what sort of coax it is. Some types aren't suitable for Virgin installations and the technician might decide to replace it with their own.

- jpeg1

SlvrYeti
On our wavelength

It's a New Build, VM supplied the cable etc to the house builders and looked over all works. A brown box was already on the wall where the internal cable meets.

Just needs them to use their VM branded Euro Modules in the faceplace(s).

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Should be an easy one then. 

- jpeg1

SlvrYeti
On our wavelength
I took out Ultimate Volt so I'm expecting them to think it'll be a big job/pain (unless they know the area/house).

Anyway, hopefully they can secure the external.

Judging by the Openreach FTTP box adjacent to your VM box, you've got other FTTP options available.  You do know what VM is like for customer service?