Menu
EMack
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is this VirginMedia phone socket going to be useful?

Hi, 

The picture below is the VM wiring that comes in to my house. In the past I had VM broadband and phone, and I wired the VM phone socket in to my home extension wiring so that my office telephone/DECT base station can be used. (It's in another room, not where the VM Super Hub goes.)

I see from the instructions that I'm supposed to plug my telephone in to my Super Hub 3 now, which isn't convenient.

Will the phone socket in the picture also go live? Can I connect the Super Hub 3 to my home phone extension wiring? (How many phones would be too many?)

20210130_181528.jpg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is this VirginMedia phone socket going to be useful?

the VM phone socket will not go live - as as you say new installs now use the hub3 for the phone input - if its all a new install the tech should be able to give you a cable and wall box to have a phone box on the wall - from that you should be able to connect to your existing phone system - just disconnect the old input wires and connect into there or the extension connections

Tony
EMack
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks!

It's a self-install, so no tech person, and no wall box in the kit that got delivered.

I could probably rig up some kind of cabling to get the phones connected. Maybe via the ethernet, or I'll see what's behind the old VM master socket. (Conduit would be nice, but I don't think the renovator was quite so far sighted 12 years ago.)

Do you/anyone else know if I can have more than one phone and all my extension wiring hanging off the same socket on the back of the Super Hub 3?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

there are 2 phone sockets on the back of the hub 3 - thats 2 phone lines - so you need to get a phone plug that goes into one socket - not a standard phone plug and some 4/6 core or maybe someone like screwfix do something

from there you need to connect into your old phone system - thats a modern box - if you remove the 2 screws the bottom half will pull out and show some connections i would guess there will be 2 wires connected - thats the extension circuit or should be - you should connect the wires to the hub to those connections

after you have removed the 2 front screws and the bottom half you will see 2 more screws connecting everything to the back box - remove those and the whole front should pull forward - the cable that comes from the BB box should connect - disconnect those and tape the ends off - put it all back together and if you have got it right you should have a phone line if you plug a phone in and your extension circuit should work

take it a step at a time testing as you go

Tony
goslow
Rising star
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@EMack wrote:

<snip>

Will the phone socket in the picture also go live? Can I connect the Super Hub 3 to my home phone extension wiring? (How many phones would be too many?)

You can connect to your existing phone wiring by following the instructions from @-tony- and that would reinstate your existing phone sockets.

If you want to connect via your structured network cabling the wiring convention is shown below matching the BT pinouts to structured cabling pinouts.

https://www.britishtelephones.com/rj45.htm

but using the phones sockets is probably easier to have multiple phone points operating simultaneously on a home setup.

The phone connection from the back of the VM hub is a 2-wire system (centre two pins on the RJ11 hub socket) for the line pair. This should work fine for modern equipment but there are regular posts on the 'Home Phone' forum about some older equipment not producing a ringing sound for incoming calls. This is due to the ringing capacitor not being present when using two wires (requires one to be introduced somewhere in the wiring or for the individual device connection if this is a problem).

A conventional phone socket should be able to run 4 devices @ a REN number of 1 (total 4 for the line). There has been a past mention on the forum of the hub being better suited to 2 devices (message #2 below)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Correct-wiring-for-multiple-extensions-on-VOIP-setup...

Make of it what you will. The REN count isn't an exact science/measure so it is probably a case of plugging in your device(s) and seeing how/if they work when they are all plugged in.

Eeeps
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's actually quite simple.

The white wire that goes from the VM master socket on the left through the VM cable box on the right is the two wire incoming connection.

Disconnect that (may be outside), pull it through and connect the two wires (known as A and B) to the telephone port on the SH.
Polarity probably won't matter but be prepared to reverse the connection.
The 'ring capacitor' is in the VM master socket so everything should work as normal.

The REN should not be a problem with modern phones. A REN of 1 equates to the power required to drive one of the old mechanical bells.

EMack
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone, all *really* helpful. The Super Hub 3 hasn't gone live/activated yet (reasons unknown), but it looks like I have 2 easy enough options above when it does.

Probably going option 1:
1/ Disconnect and tape the old incoming line from the phone master socket (grr, why isn't it just going to work like before?)
1a/ Check the old BT master socket in the other room is also disconnected from the extension wiring
2/ Connect the Super Hub to the master socket with an RJ11 to BT cable that I got with an old modem
3/ Test

0 Kudos