Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is there something wrong with my Superhub 3?

A good while ago, my Superhub 3 stopped letting me in via the password I had set (it wouldn't let me in with the default password either). I didn't need to change anything so I ignored it (I didn't want to go through a factory reset, as I didn't want to have to set everything up again).

On Friday,  my 5GHz WiFi network went AWOL (the 2.4GHz one was fine). Eventually I noticed there was an odd new SSID present in the area named "1" with a really high signal strength. I tried connecting to it with the 5GHz network password and it connected! At this point I decided I had to get access to the hub, so on Saturday, I did a factory reset*, re-entered all my settings and everything was good. Until I woke up this (Sunday) morning... there was no connection.  I've had a few outages recently, so put it down to that for a while, but the Virgin Status checker said everything was fine and even Down Detector said Virgin was having no issues... that puzzled me, so I decided to try a factory reset again. The connection came back immediately after the box had sorted itself out.  

One odd thing: while it was down, the Super Hub's status said Internet (Access Denied) under the Your Hub 3.0 status section. (I'm not sure if this usually happens as I've not had access for a while).

I've had a number of outages in the past few months where the Virgin Status checker has said everything is okay, but the connection has been down.  The outages have only lasted a couple of hours and have often been in the morning.

Here is the log while the connection was down:

22/11/2020 08:55:13criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2020 08:54:41noticeTLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2020 08:52:51criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2020 08:52:28noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2020 08:52:17criticalREG RSP not received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2020 08:52:17ErrorT6 Timeout and retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2020 08:52:17criticalRegistration RSP rejected unspecified reason;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/11/2020 08:52:17criticalRegistration RSP rejected message syntax error;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:01:38criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Any thoughts?  Let me know if I need to provide any other details.

*as an aside: I failed to reset the box the first couple of times, but I found instructions on these forums to hold the reset button for 60 seconds, then wait 5 mins (without turning off) - that worked a treat.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is there something wrong with my Superhub 3?

The persistence of these odd problems and their temporary resolution makes me conclude that the hub is suffering with a problem with the memory that holds the operating version of its software, but not with the rewrite copy that it reinstalls from when a reset is triggered.  I'm making a load of assumptions with that diagnosis, but even with alternative theories the outcome is the same, the hub shouldn't behave like this, and the only logical course of action is to have the hub replaced.  I'll flag you post for the forum staff to advise - what's needed is just for them to get a replacement posted out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi lordmirg,

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're having some issues with the hub.

I've not been able to locate any account details for you in order to take a closer look so I've popped you over a private message.

Alex_Rm

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly 🙂

I've been through diagnostics and it's showing there are some prolonged signal level issues, it's something that an engineer will need to resolve.

I've booked this for you, and you can view the time and date of the appointment via your online account here

Alex_Rm

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,  where on the account page do I see the appointment?  Is it under Order Tracking?   (My Orders and Appointments Screen)  - it currently says I don't have any open orders (although it does say check again up to 24 hours later)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you can please give 24 hours yes, then it should show 🙂

Alex_Rm