Menu
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is there a website for checking local problems? and latency issues.

Engineer has just finished installing the hub but wasn't happy with the signal levels, and after several trips to the cabinet said there was a reported problem so my speeds would fluctuate and have high latency until the 12th May when it'll hopefully be fixed. 

Apart from the normal "Check services" website which seems to just say everything's fine, is there one that gives details are more local problems so I check when the work is done? 

At the moment I have the choice of 2 networks: BT & Virgin, If I ping 8.8.8.8 over a wired gig ethernet to the back of the appropriate router I get 8-9ms ping reply on BT and 40-45ms over VM. I expected VM to be slightly slower but that's a lot of difference at the moment. Whats the expected figure? I'm guessing 16-20ms. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is there a website for checking local problems? and latency issues.

No. No theres not. Which should give you all the information you need to make a decision.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As well as the “check service,” webpage - there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Service Status web page) - that "might" give you more info on any known issues.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Service Status will usually inform you of outages. However, this is likely just a performance issue that may be affecting some users on the cabinet but not others. As it is not affecting the whole postcode area you wouldn’t see it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos