cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe?

Roger8
Joining in

Hi,

So I got my package and was about to install my hub 3 to get some internet connection on my flat, but I couldn't find the virgin media plug. I looked through the window, and a similar device was duck taped to the antena hanging from my window, I don't even know if it is, but has a similar cable coming inside through the window, which is broke. Is it safe to use it or should I get an engineer to check it out? With how much it rains I don't think it's safe that it's not inside. Thank you for your help.

IMG_20211015_175727.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Roger8 wrote:

Maybe here? But it doesn't say virgin media anywhere.

IMG_20211015_183636.jpg

now we are getting somewhere - thats much more interesting - the other one is just stanard aerial imo

so looking at that the cable coming in at the top is the inlet - the block is a splitter and has fed 2 outputs in the past - BB and TV probarbly but its a flat so there are other possibillities

so where does the bottom left go to - can you find the end of that - if so then all you see is yours - if it wanders off it may be feeding another flat - if you can find the end of that cable then connect that to the hub - power it up and ring the activation line - 0800 953 9500

if the other end wanders off to another flat unscrew the cut cable and connect the cable that came with the hub to the splitter then the hub to the new cable and activate

see what happens

if all that is yours and the left hand cable is also yours you are better removing the top cable and getting one of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

then join the incoming cable to the new cable you have and then connecting the hub

if all that is too complicated let VM send a tech to sort it

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

its unusual thats for sure - my guess its its nothing to do with VM but the fact they have sent a quick start pack means there has been an install there before

post a photo of the connector on the end of the cable

and have a look round for any other cables in the flat that might be VM

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank Tony! I will look for another, but I don't know, the other side of the cable is damaged, severely. 

signal-2021-10-15-181325.jpg

IMG_20211015_183636.jpg

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Roger8 wrote:

IMG_20211015_183636.jpg

now we are getting somewhere - thats much more interesting - the other one is just stanard aerial imo

so looking at that the cable coming in at the top is the inlet - the block is a splitter and has fed 2 outputs in the past - BB and TV probarbly but its a flat so there are other possibillities

so where does the bottom left go to - can you find the end of that - if so then all you see is yours - if it wanders off it may be feeding another flat - if you can find the end of that cable then connect that to the hub - power it up and ring the activation line - 0800 953 9500

if the other end wanders off to another flat unscrew the cut cable and connect the cable that came with the hub to the splitter then the hub to the new cable and activate

see what happens

if all that is yours and the left hand cable is also yours you are better removing the top cable and getting one of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

then join the incoming cable to the new cable you have and then connecting the hub

if all that is too complicated let VM send a tech to sort it

Tony.
Sacked VIP

The left end goes to my flat too, I plugged it, but didn't go all the way through like the one VM provided. 

IMG_20211015_191709.jpg

I don't know if it works, but the hub stays like this for a while, and then the symbols disappear

IMG_20211015_191751.jpg

I tried to unscrew the cable, but it's pretty tight. Also, what do you mean by taking the top cable off? Do you mean the splitter, or the whole cable, because I don't think removing the whole thing off is possible since it goes all through the flat (which is not mine, I'm a tenant). 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

so all the lights go out bar the bottom one that is white eventually - that looks ok - what do you see as wifi networks - the name and password should be on the hub or on a card - if you can see the network can you log in and connect - if not have you rung the activation line 

if you leave the splitter in place then you really need to cap the spare outlet

not sure if VM can send a cap - but lets see if you are connected to the net first

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Yes, I am connected and it's working. The splitter might be easily removable, but after that, I need that piece you told me about right?

P.S. thank you so much for all the help Tony

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the splitter alters the level of the signal so removing it may or may not be the right thing to do

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

see what the levels are and that will say if its ok to remove the splitter

the easy thing is get one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382120588388?epid=1779525554&hash=item58f8297464:g:b3kAAOSw0fhXmP0O

and fit one on the spare outlet on the splitter after removing the cable - that way you blank the connection and alter nothing

Tony.
Sacked VIP