cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to only allow specific external ip addresses to a port forwarding rule?

dalew1969
Tuning in

I have recently got the VM hub 4 and setup a couple of port forwarding rules, however it seems that this allows any ip address to access those ports, i.e. the entire internet.

Obviously this is not very secure, is there some way in the settings to only allow a specific external ip or range of external ip addresses to use the port forwarding rule?

I had this ability previously on my Sky Q router.

It seems a bit limited and not the amazing security that is promised by VM to not have this feature in the hub 4.

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m afraid the facilities on the VM hubs are very restricted. To do what you require would mean you would have to purchase your own router, a large number of users have found this setup works well for them.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks, but I don't appreciate the fact that I would have to purchase an additional router that does have the features that the VM Router should have by default, these features are really standard and as stated my Sky Q hub had these features, and more, built in.

It's really poor for the VM hub not to have these basic firewall functions, it is simply a matter of adding these features to a new firmware and updating.

It's great that I can get 1GB speeds but bad that such basic features are not available in the VM hub. 😞

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Never have had the functions on a VM Hub - so unlikely ever to be added in a firmware update in the future.

Its just how they have decided they want it. Hence... having your own router allows you top have it the way "you" want it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I shake my head reading this...people made VM give a inch and people expect a mile.

Many 3rd party home routers don't support what your looking for and you expect it to be in the hub!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I'm not quite sure what you mean by people 'made' VM give an inch?

To be fair it is not a massive ask from an ISP providing a secure hub, as stated in my original post this feature and others were provided in the Sky Q hub by default, in the interest of competition I would expect VM to provide the same, if not more, features in theirs.

Either way it was simply an ask, the answer is clear that it cannot be done.

@dalew1969 wrote:

Hey, I'm not quite sure what you mean by people 'made' VM give an inch?

Router mode...they did router mode all they had to give us was a modem

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well my enterprise grade router does what you want, but it would cost you £396 to get one.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2