Menu
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is internet connection available immediately after the engineer visit to install broadband

Hi,

I hope a recent new customer or Virgin Media could clarify this.

I have an installation slot booked with Virgin Media on the 9th of December. An engineer will be coming to set up a fibre connection at the flat I am moving to. This seems to be the standard procedure for new customers. However, it is not clear whether the connection will be available immediately after the engineer completes the installation. Previously, when signing up with new ISP I've had to wait 10 days for "switching" to take place.

Will the connection be available immediately after the installation? Or is there a delay between the installation and the time I can access the internet?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is internet connection available immediately after the engineer visit to install broadband

Normally the internet is available once the engineer has finished the install, be firm and don't let the engineer go until your are getting the contracted speed on an ethernet connection.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is internet connection available immediately after the engineer visit to install broadband

@MikeRobbo wrote:

Normally the internet is available once the engineer has finished the install, be firm and don't let the engineer go until your are getting the contracted speed on an ethernet connection.

But remember that keeping them hostage may not work too well for you either 🙂 I had to let them go so they could go play in the cabinet, or at least that's what they said... to be fair, connection was fine about a week later. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are paying an installation fee you have every right to expect the line to be working to contracted values.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Completely agree with you Mike, but people need to remember that it might not be possible to always do it "there and then". 

What most people don't realise is that the contract starts on the day of installation, so if your connection isn't up to standard within 14 days then hand in your cancellation form and go elsewhere before you are locked in for 12/18/24 months. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you opt out within the cooling off period do you still have to pay the installation and connection ?

0 Kudos