Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Internal wall socket

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-12 at 16.38.55 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-07-01 at 16.13.46.jpegHello,

We've just re-signed up with virgin and have been delivered a new router and tv box after a few months out of our house. 

Our builder has thrown away the old telewest internal wall socket which we had, and now we're left with only the cable coming into the house which has some plaster on it. This cable should clean up ok I think, but my question is, can I hook up the wireless router and tv box with the 'plaster' cable as-is or do I need the internal wall socket? 

Any advice/ ideas appreciated. 

Thanks.

old internal socketold internal socketwhat's left.what's left.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internal wall socket

Firstly the wall box contains a safety isolator. You must have one of these on the incoming cable to prevent damage from voltage surges in the drop line. The connection coming through the wall will be the wrong type for the quick start connector, so if you dont have the original wall box to put back on you will need to request an engineer install.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi j0hn_d,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back to Virgin media, have you managed to speak to a member of the team to arrange for a manned install?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help. Have called up for an engineer install, but it's going to cost me £100 and is a 3 week wait.. 

Better than no internet I guess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

whats the £100 for - if you ordered a quick start then called a tech to sort it because of problems it should be free 

so lets get VM back and ask

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Apparently the £100 is for the privilege of having a VM engineer come and install the box for me.. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

I called VM technical support yesterday and they told me that I would have to have an engineer come to install a wall socket for me at a cost of £100. 

I'm confused why I need to pay the fee when I have never had a VM media box inside or out installed despite us having been a customer for 5+ years. The original VM installer just left the old telewest internal wall socket in situ and didn't put an external box to protect the cable coming into the house. 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

imo the £100 charge is wrong - there has been a couple of posts of a similar nature were staff here have had the charged removed [i think] - posts go to pm so its impossible to know the outcome but that was the indication

i have flagged the thread - VM will get here so see what they say

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for flagging @-tony- ; appreciate the heads up. 

@j0hn_d - from what information you have provided here, this should just be a manned conversion install from your self-installation. This is not usually charged.

I've not been able to locate your account from here so I'll need to pop you a Private Message so we can take some details from you and take a look at what's happened when you called us. 

Look out for the Purple Envelope and pop me a reply when you can. I'll be about until 6pm this evening and back on Monday from 10am. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @j0hn_d

Thanks so much for popping back with your Private Messages so quickly today; glad that we were able to get the visit all sorted out for you. 

Please do not hesitate to pop back to this thread if you have any further issues or have any concerns on the day. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos