cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Wall socket power supply missing

alanore
Tuning in

Hello,

I'm a returning customer to Virginmedia and went with the QuickStart option, but I've ran into an issue where I have no broadband or TV.

My internal wall socket looks like the below, but I am missing the power supply part (the smaller white box that plugs into the 3 pin socket and attaches via coax to the wall socket)

vm.jpg

I phoned up customer services to see if they could help, but they didnt really to understand the issue but they did offer two solution:

1) Go to my local Virgin Money (Formally Clysdale Bank) Branch and they would 'definitly be able to help'

2) Pay to have an engineer come and install it.

On number 1, is this really a component that a Virgin Money bank would stock? It sounded a bit unlikely, especially because customer service didn't seem to know what it was called but was sure that a bank would know what it was and have a replacement.

On number 2, I really wasnt keen on being forced to pay for installation, just to get a part (which is as easy as plugging in a socket) that I need to make the virgin service work.

Does anyone know of the easiest way to solve this, even if its just the correct part code so I can order that part to fix it myself. Any help or tips are apperciated.

33 REPLIES 33

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

go to Virgin money - i love it - thats the best this week from offshore - i take it it was offshore - they would have been as accurate to tell you to give Richard a ring or drop him a mail - wonderful as you can see from my reply thats complete rubbish - i did not think offshore could get any worse but thats filled my cup [so to speak]

2nd part - pay for a tech to sort it - again total rubbish 

not 100% sure what the power supply is - i suspect you are on FTTP so its the power supply for the external box 

anyway wait here for VM - i will flag the thread and they should sort something out

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @alanore,

Thank you for your post. I am very sorry to hear you're missing a power supply unit.

To confirm, are you missing this for your router, or your TV box, or both? If you provide a photo of your current set up I'll be able to see what equipment you're missing and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

@Zach_R wrote:

Hi @alanore,

Thank you for your post. I am very sorry to hear you're missing a power supply unit.

To confirm, are you missing this for your router, or your TV box, or both? If you provide a photo of your current set up I'll be able to see what equipment you're missing and we can go from there.

Thanks,

https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/Virgin-TV-V6-QuickStart-Guide-for-New-Custom...

Page 6, top right hand corner. The three pin plug that injects power into coax for a FTTP connection.

Hey Zach,

Its as Carl and Tony described (thank you both) I have a FTTP that requires a power adaptor

20220211_162905.jpg

I have the wall socket with two cables, left cable, no problem, it goes to the spliter and on to the hub and 360 box.

The right cable is fixed to the wall socket and you can see the other end of it held in mid air. That is supposed to go to a coax power adaptor/injector as pictured below

Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 16.45.06.png

(Apologies for the low resolution) Its the peice highlighted in red that I require to get my virgin service to work.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @alanore,

Thank you for the update.

I will send you a private message now, then I will be able to sort this out for you.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks Hayley,

I’m all sorted now, I tried customer service (0800 9539500) again with no joy, so I booked an engineer. The engineer came today, he grabbed the power supply out of the van and in less than a minute I was up and running. (The engineer did stick around and made sure everything was working)

For anyone that comes across this thread in the future.

The engineer just referred to the power supply as the ONU power supply.

Customer service doesn’t seem to know what it is, they will just confirm the Hub and TV 360 power supplies are in the quick start kit and after that they are unable to help.

The ONU power supply is made by a company called Yingjiao, the label has the following part number ‘ASH-12VPSU500HDU’ model number ‘YS6-1200500’ it’s a 12 volt, 500mA power supply, it doesn’t seem like there are any readily available alternative in the UK (there does seem to be some lower power options, but I didn’t want to risk it)

That means at this point in time seemingly the only process to fix this issue is to book an engineer visit.

It’s a powered splitter. Ours broke last year and it stopped the tv and broadband working. If the green light starts flashing it’s had it.

20210818_100259.jpg

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode

Can anyone tell me where to buy the connecter socket please?

@barnstable wrote:

Can anyone tell me where to buy the connecter socket please?

what connector - if you refer to the one discussed in the thread then you cannot buy it - it is a VM provided item - post some more info and wait for VM to get to the thread

Tony.
Sacked VIP