Menu
kxhost
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent internet

Following this thread as I've been having the same issues!

In the same room as the Hub 3.0 and during the day I am getting cut off - sometimes after a few mins, sometimes after a few hours. This disconnection lasts anywhere from a few seconds to 15 minutes!

I'm a technical IT Manager, so I've tried all of their suggested resets just to tick their boxes, I've tried scanning my neighbours wifi channels to ensure I put mine on a channel/band that doesn't mix with theirs. But to no avail! Whenever I call Virgin, it's either automated or i'm told they're too busy and to call back later!

I can't help but think my Hub 3.0 is faulty!? It's been fine for almost 3 years.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent internet

Is that over wifi connections or do you have the same problems on an ethernet cable connected device at the same time. And what do the various Hub lights show/do at these times?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kxhost
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet cable is fine. Issue with disconnecting is on wifi only. 

Not sure on the Hub 3,0 lights during the wifi being offline. Will check when it next occurs. 

It has been happening intermittently today as usual. Have scanned neighbouring wifi routers and they are on a different channel to mine. 

Odd that it has only started happening in recent months after almost 3 years of being fine and nothing has changed. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Your wifi environment has changed considerably with all around you now clogging the airways zooming, doing Teams, online schooling, gaming, browsing etc.

To address this, VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. There are stock supply issues at the moment though.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

You could try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands on the Hub3 and also switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for better kit.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos