cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent internet and organge light

Danfrost2105
Joining in

Hi there,

Virgin has been installed in my home long before I moved in (12 yrs ago) and decided to finally take out a contract for Internet and TV. 

The interest hub is constantly orange and the WiFi and Internet connection drops out every day almost at the same time. I've restarted it, reset it, reset all the connections but the same thing happens every time.

Any suggestions? Virgin doesnt seem to like to let you actually speak to someone about issues, which is crap! 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The orange LED light is "normal" for an ageing Hub3 - it is no indicator of performance issues. If it goes red it will need replacing as it indicates overheating.

So meanwhile... are the connection issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

Thanks for coming back to me so quick! Ah OK. This is supposed to be a brand new hub though as I've only just taken the contract out with virgin? The WiFi in the furthest room is so bad too, it's only a small house and I've never had this issue before.

It's hard to tell as the Internet cuts out at  random times and it's easier to experience on mobile devices but it happened to my TV which is now connected via Ethernet cable.

Thanks, Dan

Hi there @Danfrost2105 👋 Welcome to Virgin and also our forums 😊

Thanks for your post, sorry to see you seem to be having some issues with the new hub you have been given 😔 I have done a thorough check through our system for you and everything looks as it should on our end.

As you have mentioned the hub has an orange light it could possibly be starting to indicate an internal fault within the hub. Does the hub feel any warmer than it usually does? Does rebooting the hub make any difference to the light or connection?

Please let us know if you need further help with this, we will certainly be happy to assist.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi Nathan,

The hub is brand new so I don't expect these issues to be occurring. Its not particularly hot but as I've only just recieved it and I don't know what is 'normal' operational temp is.

Can this be looked into as eveey day my Internet drops out for a few minutes more than once a day and it's hugely frustrating.

Thanks,

Dan

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM Hubs are rented to users, so are recycled back to a pool.   So the "state" of the Hub when you get it is random and pot luck.  Having said that, any I've ever had over the years have been very good, if not new.

As for the disconnects, please post your power levels and network log for comment.  Also setup a BQM to monitor and record your incoming circuit.  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Post a link to the live shared graph when it's up and running.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Danfrost2105,

I've just taken a look over things on our systems and I'm unable to detect any faults currently. Is this issue ongoing for you today?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach,

Yes it is, I think it's more likely the router than the connection. WiFi signal is also really poor, I'm 15 meters away and signal drops significantly/drops completely.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us, 

From checking our service I can see that there has been an appointment booked.

Has the matter been resolved for you?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kain,

No unfortunately even with a new router it's still not solved. The Internet drops out for a few minutes randomly during the day/evening.

Thanks,

Dan