Menu
JulesJ1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent connection

Been advised by someone on the end the phone at virgin to post on here about our broadband ...contract started March 21 , service is patchy at best , won’t work upstairs -we live in a standard 3 bed semi . Router has to be reset at least twice a day . Signal dips out with no warning . Devices say we are connected to the hub but not the internet . 4 phone conversations have lead nowhere ...have sent message to register for boosters but heard nothing. Reaching the end of my tether . Can anyone PLEASE help . 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent connection

First question, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

And are the connections on wifi stable if you are in the same room as the Hub and deteriorate with distance away?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
JulesJ1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The problems appear to be confined to just devices connected via WiFi. The connection is much more stable when connected by Ethernet cable. The problem of intermittent WiFi gets worse as you move away from the router with devices saying they are connected to the router but not the internet. 

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Stuart,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connection issues. How has things been since your post?
I have run a remote diagnostic and have not been able to identify any issues with your connection.
We can also provide online broadband help here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband
Let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers,
Corey C

0 Kudos
JulesJ1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

it is not working correctly!!! It has to be reset twice a day minimum , every time someone tests it they say it is fine ! It is not fine ! If this is not sorted I want it taken out , £78 a month since it was put in , in March and it only works downstairs occasionally   and upstairs when it feels like it . It needs a new router or someone to look at it . We had a much cheaper system in before Virgin and didn’t have these problems . We live in a normal 3 bed  semi , is it to much to ask for something that works in all the rooms ? I was told someone would ring me back from the fault department today … still waiting .

0 Kudos
SteNix2020
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It sounds to me that it's your Wireless that's not living up to the dream rather then the connection itself. Many users on here will recommend getting a 3rd party router/mesh system to improve the wireless around your home.

You could try splitting the bands by adding 5G on the end of the 5Ghz network then you know what device is connecting to what band as 2.4 will reach further. That said I would try some diffrent channels on the 2.4 band to see if that improves coverage as this band can become very congested with neighbours networks and other devices using the same band.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@JulesJ1 This may be both a broadband problem as well as wifi, because restarting the hub shouldn't normally make any difference to the wifi (wireless) side of things, but it would temporarily resolve an intermittent broadband problem (as well as clearing some of the evidence from the hub's status data).

Could you wait until the connection is notably poor, ideally after the hub has been running overnight as well, and BEFORE restarting the hub, connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

This might reveal nothing, but it costs nothing other than a couple of minutes of your time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @JulesJ1,

Thank you for getting back to us about this issue. I understand that this must be a very frustrating situation.

Were you able to run some at home equipment diagnostics? You can do this by signing into your online account and checking our Service Status page to run these further tests.

I was able to locate your account and after running some further tests, I can see that you have some issues with your upstream power levels. This issue would need to be looked at by a technician. Before I can book in your appointment, I will need you to confirm a few details.

I will send you a Private Message, so please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JulesJ1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have an engineer coming on Saturday , someone eventually called me back and agreed it needs to be sorted … finally ! 

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming this for me JulesJ1, and we're sorry to hear it's taken so long to have an engineer sent out to you

Do please update the thread with an update once available and if this needs further attention, we will seek to advise further

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos