Menu
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent connection with Amazon Alexa

We wouldn't issue the equipment if it wasn't fully tested LindaRuth. 

I will send you over a private message so I can discuss this further. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I have replied to the private message.

I've just run another speed test. It is even lower than the last one 

- download 36.12

- upload 7.13

This has been going on for four weeks now. I have tried the text option 07533 051809 5 times. I never get further than 'Hi, I'm Virgin Media's new bot, etc...'. I say what I want and, hours later, get 'Hi, I'm Virgin...etc' again on a loop.

I've done everything asked of me - run speed tests, rebooted, tried online help. End up getting signposted back to this forum. It is like Groundhog Day. I'm told to download the Virgin Connect app - it does not work with Hub 4! I cannot use the online diagnostic help - it does not work with Hub 4! Why issue equipment that is unsupported?

We used the Hub 3 for years with very few issues and those we were able to fix ourselves using online support, etc. It feels like the Hub 4 has been dumped on us and we are left guessing how to solve the problems that we've had from day 1.

This is affecting our TVs, our laptops, our mobiles and the Amazon Echo devices. First world problems I know but I pay a lot of money for this. I have been a customer for 20 years plus and have never encountered such poor service. 

I want to speak to someone at a time that suits me.

I do not want to be checking my emails all day to see if I have a message. For one thing, the connection is so bad that it takes emails a while to come through and I usually get the notification an hour or so after they have been sent. The agent has probably gone home and I'm waiting another week for someone to pick up the loose ends.

Please contact me to arrange a mutually convenient appointment to attempt to resolve the problem.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 13 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Post your network logs and power levels for comment. It may be in circuit has issues, especially with the figures you are quoting.

As you have discovered you are one of the many on these Forums having issues with the Hub 4. It's painful reading this thread when so many VM staff are telling you to use the app, when it doesn't work with the Hub 4 !

Anyway, for your own sanity, I would suggest modem mode if you want to sort out wifi issues, and get your own wifi networking kit. ISP supplied kit is okay for most, but it can't always cope with all scenarios. I've always had my own kit and always used VM's hubs in modem mode.

0 Kudos
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I have set up a Broadband Quality Monitor. 

This is the result of the last 24 hours. The previous 24 hours was a similar pattern.

18.10.20.PNG

Today, we tried to watch on one Tivo box a programme recorded on another Tivo box. This failed with the message that the internet speed was too low. No other devices were being used at the time.

I really want to speak to someone about this. The chatbot has ignored me for the last 24 hours. I want to speak to a human please by appointment.

0 Kudos
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I've started broadband quality monitoring. This is the graph for today:

18.10.20.PNG

Yesterday's graph is similar.

Intermittent issues again today including not being able to watch recorded content from one Tivo Box to another and receiving the error message that internet speed was too low.

I have no idea whether this graph shows there are issues or not. I am not a technical expert and don't think I should have to become an expert just to use broadband in a domestic setting.

I would like to arrange a call by appointment with a human being to discuss the issues we are having. 

0 Kudos
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I've tried twice to post today's graph from the broadband quality monitoring I started a couple of days ago. 

The posts have not appeared at all. 

The graphs show high peaks and lows of latency. There is no consistency at all. I think this could be 'jitter'. 

I am having to do far more research than should be necessary simply to use the internet in a domestic setting. 

Today the TV told us the Internet speed was too slow to watch streamed content. No other devices were in use at the time. 

Please contact me to arrange an appointment to discuss and resolve. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 17 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@LindaRuth wrote:

I am having to do far more research than should be necessary simply to use the internet in a domestic setting. 

Welcome to  virgin media where network thinking must happen.

Just use the hub in modem mode with a router thats got 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for responding. 

Unfortunately I don't understand why I need more kit to make something work that is supposedly an upgrade on what I had before.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 19 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@LindaRuth wrote:

Thank you for responding. 

Unfortunately I don't understand why I need more kit to make something work that is supposedly an upgrade on what I had before.

That's just the way it is.  ISP kit is built to a price, they are not going to supply £200 routers,  However can you please post your power levels and network logs as requested earlier.  They should help the community advise further on your issues.  As for the wifi issues with Alexa, and if you value your sanity, don't rely on VM wireless performance.  A quick read of the threads on this community all suggest using your own wifi solutions which you then own and can use with other ISP's if you ever leave VM.  In my own case, I have 2 AP's, one at each opposite end of my property, use modem mode and don't have any wifi issues with my Alexa's.  Also anything that can be wired with ethernet cable is.

The choice is yours really. 

0 Kudos
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for responding again. 

I have tried posting broadband quality monitoring graphs. They haven't appeared despite removing personal details. 

How do I get the logs you mention?

Thanks

0 Kudos