Menu
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent connection with Amazon Alexa

I have three amazon alexa echo dot devices. Since I changed to the new hub I have had problems with all three:

• Intermittent connections 
  • Slow responses 
  • Cutting out after a few minutes listening
  • Red ring and 'I am having trouble trying to understand you'

I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the devices. This has not worked. Other devices are working fine although my mobile phone keeps switching to the mobe connection even in the house.

I had no problems before the new hub

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent connection with Amazon Alexa

Hi LindaRuth,

Thanks for your post. 

I'm sorry you're having some problems with your connection with your Amazon echo and your mobile phone.

Do you have any problems on a wired connection?

Are the echoes further away from the hub? Do you notice that the mobile phone drops the further away it is?

Do you have our connect app? You can use it to scan each room in the property and check for any potential issues. It will then suggest ways to help you optimise your connection.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hello Melissa

Thank you for responding. 

My only wired connection is the Tivo service for TV. That worked better after rebooting it and the hub twice.

The mobile cuts out in the furthest room but that is only about 25 feet from the hub.

The Alexa Echos are about 5 feet, 10 feet and 15 feet from the hub. They all have issues. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting. They still cut out at random or do not respond. 

I have a Hub 4 and that hasn't worked with the app. 

To be honest I would prefer the Hub 3 back. I have noticed no improvement with the Hub 4 and had none of these problems. 

Regards

Linda McGee

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi LindaRuth, 

Thanks for your response about your in-home PA systems, I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I understand you may have got this issue resolved by now however in case you are still experiencing issues I'll continue to ask some questions.

Can you please download the Connect App if you've not already and perform scans in every room to see how your WIFI signal is performing please? It may suggest a booster pack to spread the WIFI evenly if this is the root cause of the issue. 

Also, can I ask if there are any other electrical devices near the HUB? as these can have an adverse effect on the WIFI signal as well as thick walls and doors.

Let me know and we'll try to help further.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi LindaRuth, 

Thanks for your response about your in-home PA systems, I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I understand you may have got this issue resolved by now however in case you are still experiencing issues I'll continue to ask some questions.

Can you please download the Connect App if you've not already and perform scans in every room to see how your WIFI signal is performing please? It may suggest a booster pack to spread the WIFI evenly if this is the root cause of the issue. 

Also, can I ask if there are any other electrical devices near the HUB? as these can have an adverse effect on the WIFI signal as well as thick walls and doors.

Let me know and we'll try to help further.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I still have the problems. I have downloaded the connect app but it told me it couldn't do the diagnostic with my hub which is the brand new one. 

The hub is close to the TV but is the only place it can go as the connecting lead is very short. 

We have problems with watching saved shows on other boxes. I am working from home and lose connection especially on Skype calls. Our mobile phones keep losing WiFi and the Amazon echos keep cutting out. 

Thanks 

Linda 

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Linda,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly, I a sorry to hear you're still having a problem with your connection.

I have looked on my faults checker to see if there are any outages or faults on your services, however nothing is coming up as an issue. 

I would like to see how the speed of your wired connection is performing, if the broadband coming through the wires is slow, then this will indicate where the problem may lie. You can do a speed test here. Make sure to do it on a laptop/PC that’s connected to the internet via the yellow Ethernet cable in order to get the true results.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I ran the speed test. 

The results were Download speed 48.42 and upload 8.21.

I took the actions to reboot etc and then advised to download the Virgin Connect app which doesn't work with Hub 4 or join the online community which is where I started! 

I'm getting very frustrated now. I am annoyed that I was sent a product that is unsupported and appears to still be in test mode. 

I want a Hub 3 returned please. Alternatively I will cancel my contract as this has been ongoi g for weeks 

Regards

Linda

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I'm unsure as to what you are referring to when you advise test mode sorry, Linda? 

Everything this side seems absolutely where it needs to be - if you're still having issue that are ongoing, please let me know and I will send you over a private message so I can look into this 🙂 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
LindaRuth
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I am still having problems. 

By test mode I mean that the Hub 4 has been issued to customers when it is not fully tested and supported. 

0 Kudos