Menu
BColvin
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent broadband

I am working form home and switched to Virgin around October 2020 because the broadband was supposed to be faster and more reliable. My broadband connection just drops out briefly every so often throughout the day since Virgin was installed. I have restarted and reset the router and followed all the guidance to improve my connection but it just keeps happening several times every day.

Previously I spoke to someone at Virginmedia via a chat and he reckoned there was a problem that required an engineer to come out, but because I already had an engineer booked he couldn't arrange the visit. The engineer that came out did a check and said everything was working fine with my broadband and there was no problem that he could see. He suggested switching off the firestick when not in use in case it was interfering with the WIFI signal but that hasn't helped.

I don't know if the problem is affecting wired connections because it comes back so quickly I don't have time to get to them to check before it's back on. I am not technically minded so have no idea what the issue could be or how to resolve it. Never had any issues when I was previously with Sky.

I have had a complaint lodged with Virginmedia about this issue that has gone unresolved for over two months and have to now refer it to CISAS. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated because it's driving me mad! Thanks

0 Kudos
IanBl27b
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent broadband

Hi BColvin - I have just started a post as I seem to have the same or similar issues as you, I’ve had a very helpful reply from the forum that I am following up, might be worth taking a look at that series of posts?

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The problem with WiFi is that it could be rock stable one moment and then very unstable and constantly dropping out the next, the only way of saying whether or not the router or cable connection is faulty is connecting via cable. 

I will say though that typically the Virgin hubs are pretty much at WiFi and disabling that and using your own WiFi gives a far better result. 

0 Kudos
IanBl27b
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Z92 - mine definitely isn’t the WiFi, the connection to broadband internet gets dropped on a wired pc, the VM WiFi seems pretty good throughout the house and across 1 floor down and a further 2 floors up, so 4 floors in total.

0 Kudos
BColvin
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I tried to look at some of the earlier queries on the forum but I had either already tried the suggested solutions or they were so technical I just didn't understand them. Did you find anything that helped? Thanks

0 Kudos
IanBl27b
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I’m going to follow up the comments by jbrennand re low supply signal with VM, hopefully that will help me resolve the broadband dropping out

0 Kudos
BColvin
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I'll have a look at your thread and see if I can get any help from it. I am getting no help from Virgin at all and the self-help guides only take you so far if your not up on the technical aspects (like me). Never had this problem with the supposedly inferior broadband offered by Sky. Wish I hadn't switched.

0 Kudos