Menu
rlee118c
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Wifi

Hello!

Recently our house has been having problems with our Virgin Wifi cutting out constantly. We have a Hub 3 with an M350 fibre broadband package. I have checked the area several times and there doesn't seem to be any problem with Virgin.

I have run a test with Sam knows and got these results:

Download - 19.5Mbps

Upload - 18.8Mbps

Latency - 53.5 ms

Jitter - 12.2ms

Packet Loss - 0.00%

Web Browsing - 1.35s

When the internet itself is running it's fine, it's just that it cuts out. On the router typically just the power light is on and nothing else. We've also restarted it a few times and the problem persists. Is this something we'll need a technician for? Its been very difficult reaching out to virgin, although it is understandable given the Covid situation.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Wifi

Is this happening just on wifi connected devices - or do those on an ethernet cable connection drop at the same time?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
rlee118c
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It just happens on the wifi connected devices. At the moment we don't have any ethernet cable connections. 

Would it be worth buying a few boosters to help with connection speed?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No - boosters are a poor solution you can do far better than that. But you do need to first determine whether your issues are wifi only or on the VM network connection.

Easiest way to do that is how I suggested. Connect a laptop/computer directly to the Hub with a Cat5e/6/7 ethernet cable and leave it that way until your wifi devices (phones?) drop out and then see if the wired connection is still working as expected

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos