Menu
ianroberts
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Connection - Sheffield S26

I've been suffering an intermittent connection over the last few days.

On a couple of occasions the connection has come back of it's own accord after 5-10 mins however on others, including yesterday around 3-4pm, it stayed down for an extended period and then came back after a reboot of the modem.

I have Think Broadband's monitoring setup which confirms these outages and also show increased latency and some spikes in packet loss which are normally non existent. I've attached an image of the last 24 hours - the period from 2am to 10am this morning is how the connection normally looks.

I've also been experiencing a lot of lag on conference calls which I suspect is related to the packet loss as this seems to correlate with those periods, e.g. it was fine this morning and has become noticeable again in the last hour or two.

There are no localised issues reported on the Service Status and when try to run a test from My Account I receive a "Technical Error: Something's gone wrong with the test" message which I assume is probably related.

Do we have any VM representatives on here that can help?

ThinkBroadband_20200819.PNG

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Connection - Sheffield S26

Hi ianroberts,

Sorry to hear about your connection issues and thanks for your BQM graph. I've had a good nosey at your network details and can see some Signal to Noise Ratio on one of your upstream channels.  There are also some unfixed errors on it too which has prompted me to ask our 2nd Line Faults Team and Networks Team to take a look.

For these type of tickets, they don't necessarily get back to us but may update your area with an outage Please give it 48 to 72 hrs and call our Service Checker on 0800 561 0061 to see if anything pops up. You may also post back here so we can check for you.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
ianroberts
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your reply and for the action you've taken.

I've had two complete outages today, one brief at around 08:30 and the other for almost an hour between 17:00 and 18:00.

The packet loss outside these times, while not giving me any noticeable issues with my typical usage, is quite significant and certainly seems worse than it has done over the last couple of weeks. It used to be completely non-existent so something is amiss.

Your Service Checker is still showing no issues though when I've tried to run a test via My Account it tells me there are indeed some performance and speed issues in my area and won't let me proceed. I can't help but feel that semi regular outages of an hour at a time is more than a packet loss and performance concern however I don't seem to be able to report the problem.

Is this something you're able to progress for me? I've attached a copy of my BQM for today to demonstrate what I'm seeing.

Thanks,

Ian

TBB_20200827.png

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ian,

I have rejected your BQM images as the BQM title is the first line of your address, which is private information that should not be posted on this public forum. I’d suggest giving it a less specific title and posting it again.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ianroberts
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah yes, I must admit I hadn't given that a moments thought!

I've edited out my address and reposted below.

BQM_20200827.png

0 Kudos
ianroberts
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm still seeing significant packet loss on my connection and had another extended period of complete downtime this afternoon.

The Service Status consistently tells me there are no problems in my area, despite a VM rep having confirmed they could see issues and had reported this upstream.

The "Run a test" section in My Account either fails to run, telling me there's a problem with the test and gives me nowhere to go, or if I try running it when it's working it simply tells me I'm online!

Every avenue in the "Contact us" section offers no support and redirects me to the Virgin Connect app for help setting up my wifi, or to the Community for further support.

Struggling with where to go from here if anyone can offer any advice 😐

0 Kudos
ianroberts
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Today for reference.

BQM_20200904.png

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Ianroberts.

We can see some RS errors showing so we've booked an appointment for you using the forum information. 

You can view the appointment details and reschedule this is needed on your online account or on the app.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
ianroberts
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emily.

I've got the engineer booked for tomorrow so I'll post back afterwards.

0 Kudos
ianroberts
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Happy to confirm the engineer visited this morning and found a dodgy connection in the external box.

He's redone all the connections and adjusted a couple of things and reported he was no longer seeing the RS errors.

I've checked the modem status (about 6 hours after he left) and it's still reporting 0 Post RS Errors whereas last night it was showing thousands on every channel.

I'm off work this week so not using it all day but it's looking good so far 👍

0 Kudos