Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Connection - Issues with Old Cabinet Virgin don't want to refurbish

Sadly the return of a problem we had at the beginning of the year, every 5 minutes the broadband goes down with a Critical Sync Timing Failure on the log.

A succession of engineer visits identified our local cabinet is in poor condition (and due for refurbishment), one row of the ports we were told is broken.

Unfortunately there is only limited number of users/account for Virgin for this cabinet so we were told it would be a priority because of the cost.

We had a decent run with consistent broadband of ok speeds but should have known the writing was on the wall when we saw a Virgin van parked near the cabinet last week and then the problem returned as perhaps a new customer (good luck) or another of the existing customers complained, nevertheless I think the engineer likely just switched the connections around and we ended up with a rubbish one again.

Just spent an hour waiting on hold with no answer which in itself is disgusting so no further forward.

Any advice how I get the network team to resolve the cabinet refurbishment issue once and for all?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Connection - Issues with Old Cabinet Virgin don't want to refurbish

Here is the BQM Graph.

My BQM Graph

Thanks for any suggestions on what to do next.

Regards,

Howard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Connection - Critical Timing Sync Failure every 5 minutes

This is the event log, it's dropping every 5 minutes currently

11/11/2020 08:40:6 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:40:6 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:35:4 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:35:3 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:30:3 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:30:3 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:25:2 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:25:2 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:20:1 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:20:1 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:15:0 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:10:0 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:04:59 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 08:04:58 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 07:59:57 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 07:59:57 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 07:54:56 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 07:54:56 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
11/11/2020 07:49:56 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unfortunately you can't force VM to do anything.  Due to pathetically weak regulation by Ofcom, there's few standards compared to (say) gas or electricity, and those there are get weakly enforced.  So if VM have pushed the cab replacement back into 2021 to keep capex down (whilst still charging you full rate), there's little you can do.

You can read and follow the VM complaints Code of Practice. I always recommend putting complaints in writing and sending by recorded post. If VM can't sort your complaint out to your complete satisfaction, then after eight weeks you can escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS. Obviously this is slow, but probably better than the misery of trying to contact VM by phone, and getting fobbed off again with promises that will certainly not be kept.  But even CISAS can't force VM to rearrange capital investment works, so you'd need to consider what outcome you want.  VM might bring forward the asset renewal, so could be worth a try, just don't hope for too much.

If you're not in a fixed term contract, your best and quickest fix is to get a new ISP.  If you are in contract, use the complaints process (and arbitration if needed) to be released without penalty as of the date of your complaint to VM.

I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but that's how your options appear to me.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andruser, Sadly I think a new ISP is the direction we are heading.

I did eventually get through last night to VM and reported a damaged cabinet, this has a supposed 48 hour response time but we have heard this before and there is no guarantee despite request that the engineer will contact us as and when they visit the cabinet.

A previous home engineer visit at the beginning of year rang the networks team in front of us and they confirmed the cabinet is due for refurbishment and this was scheduled for August of this year, it didn't happen.

Another engineer was honest enough to say since the cabinet doesn't serve many existing customers that it would likely continue to be a low priority.

Unfortunately we don't yet have fibre available to our area so a new ISP will come with a drop in speed but at least with some consistency and I am sure a lot less cost than the amount I pay Virgin every month and have done for many years as a customer.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Charliehg,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm really sorry you've been having ongoing issues with your connection. I completely understand how frustrating this would be for you. 

It looks like you've got a technician visit booked in so they can take another look, and chase this up with the Network team. 

Keep us updated with how this goes.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa, Thanks for your message

We had three network engineers (and vans!) arrive last Friday, they checked everything from the cabinet through to the connections in the property, when they left everything appeared to be back online.

They suggested if there was a problem again it could be the 'drop' between the cabinet and the property.

It held until Monday then the same problem was back so we rang customer services again, the helpful lady we spoke to said the network engineers had not filed any report and we have another visit booked for tomorrow afternoon however I fear this may be a home technician rather than the network team. We have had at least three home technician visits on the issue already, all they are able to do is report it to the network team and nothing appears to happen.

My concern is once again the issue won't be resolved and it's making working from home with the current service impossible.

We've been loyal Virgin customers for many years and pay and considerable monthly cost for this but it can't go on even if it means swapping to a 'down the phone' provider with lower speeds, at least connectivity would hold to enable working from home.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow but I fear it once again won't solve the issue.

Regards,

Charliehg

0 Kudos