cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent WiFi Pod

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do they work similarly to WiFi powerline boosters? 

The thing I'm particularly concerned about is speed 

So with powerlines I've used they take internet from the hub and deliver extended range but at only less than half of the main hubs capability

I assume these are the same? 

Let's for example say the hub normally provides all my devices with a solid 500mbps 

I imagine a Pod that might be in my bedroom would only provide around 100mbps or there around 

Can anyone confirm how the speeds are affected I didn't see or missed it in the FAQ

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also these are sucking internet from the main hub to provide a constant bubble so whilst it is connected I assume the maximum typical speed provided by the hub will be affected until the pod is switched off?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Pods will not affect the speed to the Hub.  They work on a "hop" basis and the more hops, the slower the Pod will be.  It is quite normal for a wifi based extender, i.e. Pod to loose speed over distance.

Unless you have a wired "backhaul", i.e. the Pods are connected by a wire back to the Hub, there is no way around this, it's just the way it works.  You can also get "triband" wifi units that use a dedicated wifi channel for the backhaul in lieu of the cables.  But they are quite expensive.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Note: ideally the pod should be equal distance from the hub and the target machine. Unless they are hard wired they should not be in the same location as the target. If they were they would be just receiving exactly the same signal as the target, so would only emit the same strength. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi @Anonymous thanks for posting.  

Your fellow community members have advised you correctly regarding the pods.  If you wish us to help you further possibly with the ordering of a pod, please do reach out.

Regards

Lee_R