cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing the router

Stephen93
Up to speed

Will hopefully have the VM router for gig1 installed on 8/11/23, will they put it where I want it to be placed as my cameras are all connected by Ethernet so need the router in the same room as the Ethernet cables, my cameras are HiLook & record onto a hard disk, not sure if the recorder has WiFi 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The technician should put the hub where you want it, they often want to put it where it’s easiest for them. It is always best to use Ethernet where you can. Another option is to get a small network switch, a 5 port one is about £15, and wire this into the hub. You can then have the hub in a central position where it gives the best WiFi. It’s all up to you.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The technician should put the hub where you want it, they often want to put it where it’s easiest for them. It is always best to use Ethernet where you can. Another option is to get a small network switch, a 5 port one is about £15, and wire this into the hub. You can then have the hub in a central position where it gives the best WiFi. It’s all up to you.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

JTC652
On our wavelength

I just had VM installed last week, we are in a new infrastructure area so are on PON, so fibre to the 5x hub. 

I wanted the hub in my garage as that is where my switch is located for my structured network, no real issue the outlet was installed in the garage and a fibre was run from the box on the outside of the house, l have since moved it so it’s more hidden. I was given two 10m fibre patch leads so I could locate the hub where I wanted it. 

Installation guy was helpful and we were running 30 mins after he arrived. 

Stephen93
Up to speed

Thanks both, do TP link WiFi extenders work with hub 5x,? I believe that’s the one I’ll be getting, it’s a brand new install from ducts in the causeway to a tee at the end of my lawn, cabinet just a few houses away from me

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They will probably work although I have no experience of them I much prefer Ethernet wired WiFi access points.

Tudor

Do VM WiFi pods have an Ethernet connection?

Stephen93
Up to speed

Pre pull done today, brown box on the wall, cable connected to the puck & cabinet, then had a text an our after from VM to say the external work has been completed & we’re all set for installation on the 8/11/23, asked why it was a hard cable pull he said it wasn’t & didn’t know why it had been delayed on 20/10/23.

as we can’t have a landline or TV360 with them (not offered yet) will there just be a white box with 1 cable connected to the router?

Stephen93
Up to speed

How do you know if your area is the new XGS-PON? we have a tee & cable from it to a cabinet, this is a brand new installation Virgin never been in this area before, I’m having the 1gig option, will I get a hub 5 for hub 5x?

JTC652
On our wavelength

The installation guy/girl will couple the fibre in the box outside to an internal Virgin Mobile box which has an LC-APC socket on the bottom. They will then run an internal fibre which is one 3.5mm white fibre, to the router. 

The guy who did mine said that Virgin give them white trunking to stick on the internal wall. It’s big! I ran small 16mm square trunking in my garage which was ample big enough to contain and protect the fibre. He gave me two 10m runs of fibre which was ample. 

JTC652
On our wavelength

Depends, if you are in a XGS-PON area then you will get a 5x router. This is the only router that has a fibre connector. If they have done the outside installation, lift the cover off and if you just have a coil of fibre with a green plug on the end it’s likely it’s going to be XGS-PON. New network areas tend to have these as they don’t require powered distribution equipment. PON networks only need optical splitters.