cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing equipment on private property without permission

CrB1
Joining in

Virgin Media engineers visited my property on 16 June 2023 to install wires for internet connection which we had not requested. I explained that we own the property and therefore they had no permission to drill holes in our walls and install equipment. They agreed that they would not do this. However, we now have wires running into our property (a private house, not a within a communal block) and a box attached to the side of our house. This has meant drilling through the exterior wall (which we own), trespassing on our private property and causing damage. Having spent a long time trying to get through to Virgin Media by telephone, eventually the call handler informed me that I could not raise a complaint as I had no account number and therefore the only way I could raise this was on the Virgin Media Community. Please could someone contact me urgently about this.

5 REPLIES 5

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @CrB1 ,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

We truly apologise on behalf of our team for this issue with an unauthorised installation. We want to do our best to investigate this and provide a resolution. To best look into this, I have sent you a private message. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. Let me know if you have any issues locating this. 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@CrB1 wrote:

Virgin Media engineers visited my property on 16 June 2023 to install wires for internet connection which we had not requested. I explained that we own the property and therefore they had no permission to drill holes in our walls and install equipment. They agreed that they would not do this. However, we now have wires running into our property (a private house, not a within a communal block) and a box attached to the side of our house. This has meant drilling through the exterior wall (which we own), trespassing on our private property and causing damage. Having spent a long time trying to get through to Virgin Media by telephone, eventually the call handler informed me that I could not raise a complaint as I had no account number and therefore the only way I could raise this was on the Virgin Media Community. Please could someone contact me urgently about this.

sorry to say you will get taken round in circles and not much will happen - staff have started that process - apologise - send pm for address - pass request to area field manager - job done here - to be fair thats all they can do

so wait and see what happens - nothing is the norm - or sort it yourself - wire cutters to remove the cable - no danger its data not voltage - remove the external box and bin it or keep it - repair holes in wall with silicone or cement and let life move on

other than that wait and see where they take it - your call

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Omadawn
Up to speed

Now what I don’t get is that if you were there when they turned up and informed them that they were not permitted to do any work on your property, how comes that they did so anyway?

Did you go out, but they had waited quietly around the corner until you weren’t around and then quickly installed the box and cables and vanished? Maybe you weren’t forceful enough, and they misunderstood. Possibly next time going out to explain the situation and your dissatisfaction with what they want to do, whilst holding a baseball bat, which you idly swing, might be better? Just a suggestion.

In the meantime probably -Tony-‘s suggestion is the best, cut the whole lot away, dump in the nearest skip, fix the holes as best you can, take it as a learning experience and finally, if asked, deny everything - is probably your best recourse here.

Client62
Legend

Previous times when this has occurred and an installation is performed at the wrong address or across an unrelated property we advised the home owner should feel free to remove the cables.

Clippers like those below may be ideal for the task ...

Client62_1-1688666008701.png

spell
Knows their stuff

Take plenty of photos - VM will try to take the stance that they are in control of what happens. They are not - you are - they will just delay and fob you off. They are the bad guys and it is for you to take control - this is a well evidenced straight on criminal trespass and criminal damage. Keep a record log of all contacts.