cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation

A_HONEYMAN1979
Joining in

5995A212-9AFE-4680-A376-D967E2A2744F.jpeg

So we tried getting virgin last year but the track was broken by the water board….we have now been told we can get it so re ordered it is suppose to be getting installed on the 7th feb. Had an email and phone call today saying they still can’t pull the cable and will now be the 22nd feb…….

my issue is that we now have a cable that has been pulled 4 days ago sticking out at the end of our drive. I spoke to the guy when he was doing who said it was all done and ready to go but VM are still saying can’t go ahead as the cable hasn’t been pulled 

need help as it’s getting very frustrating now and just being told we can’t get the cable pulled everytime I call. 

you have the cable pulled it’s here 😡😡😡😡😡

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@A_HONEYMAN1979 wrote:

So we tried getting virgin last year but the track was broken by the water board….we have now been told we can get it so re ordered it is suppose to be getting installed on the 7th feb. Had an email and phone call today saying they still can’t pull the cable and will now be the 22nd feb…….

my issue is that we now have a cable that has been pulled 4 days ago sticking out at the end of our drive. I spoke to the guy when he was doing who said it was all done and ready to go but VM are still saying can’t go ahead as the cable hasn’t been pulled 

need help as it’s getting very frustrating now and just being told we can’t get the cable pulled everytime I call. 

you have the cable pulled it’s here 😡😡😡😡😡

A few confusing aspects in this topic ...

What do you mean when you say 'the track was broken by the water board'? Are you referring to a cable or a roadway?

The item in your hand does look like a cut piece of VM cable. However, if VM was installing to your home, the cable would typically continue up your driveway all the way to your home and would be terminated in a plastic omnibox outside the home so something does not seem right.

Possibilities might be it is an old, cut cable or, if it is a new cable, they have maybe got stuck pulling it through.

The water board had damaged the track they use to thread  the cable under the road so they couldn’t get true cable from the box across to our house. 

I didn’t think the pull team actually attached  the cable to the house, I was led to believe they would get it to the property and then a virgin media engineer would pull the rest of the way to the house and install to the property? 

@A_HONEYMAN1979 wrote:

The water board had damaged the track they use to thread  the cable under the road so they couldn’t get true cable from the box across to our house. 

I didn’t think the pull team actually attached  the cable to the house, I was led to believe they would get it to the property and then a virgin media engineer would pull the rest of the way to the house and install to the property? 

If your photo at #1 is showing the edge of your property on the public pavement, and your home lies some way beyond that point, the typical process would be that firstly the cable is pulled from the street cabinet all the way to the outside wall of your home. This work is normally done by sub-contractors.

On the outside wall a plastic omnibox is fitted. From there in a second visit, a VM technician makes a connection inside the omnibox and installs the cabling and wall boxes inside the property and installs and activates the equipment.

Your photo at #1 may well be an old cut cable or the new cable which has got stuck perhaps.

If your cable pull date has now been bumped to 22 Feb then you might be in for a long waiit for your services. Read some of the other topics on here about delayed installations and you'll get a general idea of what possibilities may happen next.

after our last experience I was hopeful seeing the cable where it is now. Last time they couldn’t even it across it the road and then just cancelled the contract. 

I’ll not hold my breath for it to be done anytime soon 

@A_HONEYMAN1979 wrote:

after our last experience I was hopeful seeing the cable where it is now. Last time they couldn’t even it across it the road and then just cancelled the contract. 

I’ll not hold my breath for it to be done anytime soon 

You could try contacting the pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734 to see if they can tell you any more information (but reports on here often suggest they know no more than you are likely to).

Also review the compensation scheme for delayed installation

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

and updated rates

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

and begin keeping detailed timeline records of all dates, times, comm's with VM, failed visits, failed promises etc. This will help you to calculate whatever compensation you are due for the delay.

Hi A_HONEYMAN1979, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you've been having an issue with getting the relevant support from the teams with regards to your installation. 

This is something we can certainly check for you but in order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you to pass security. 

I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. Just click on the little envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs