cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation

pompeyadey
Tuning in

Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right board for this but here we go.

I ordered a Virgin Media package in early November and got an install date for 29th November. On that date we had a text message saying that it was postponed. Then we got a new install date of 30th December!! Since the new date was given I have been trying to speak to someone about why it was postponed and that I was dependent upon broadband for working from home. I have found it very difficult to get communication from Virgin Media and wondered if my situation was common…

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes it's extremely common, and the new date you have been given will be no more reliable than the last one. Neither will the next date be.

There is no way you can expedite this. The only good news is that if you decide to wait for the installation rather than go elsewhere, you will be entitled to compensation under OFCOM rules for every day that you have to wait. Just keep a record of all VM's promises.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://ofcom.cmail19.com/t/i-l-ckhdkud-wklhinik-m/

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

39 REPLIES 39

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have a look through the Forum posts, you are far from alone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes it's extremely common, and the new date you have been given will be no more reliable than the last one. Neither will the next date be.

There is no way you can expedite this. The only good news is that if you decide to wait for the installation rather than go elsewhere, you will be entitled to compensation under OFCOM rules for every day that you have to wait. Just keep a record of all VM's promises.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://ofcom.cmail19.com/t/i-l-ckhdkud-wklhinik-m/

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

many thanks for this. It does look like a common theme.

Aftab_m
Tuning in

Having similar issues to others here - external install team arrived within a day of my order after Black Friday deals. Hit a “blockage” requiring a “construction team” - will refer and they should be out before your engineer installation visit. Well guess what, nothing after 3 weeks, so I ring - 2 days later and get an email to advise need permission from neighbours. My installation engineer is booked for next Tuesday but don’t know what he’s going to install if they haven’t done the cable to the outside of the house. Secondly, I’m migrating from another provider, so will my services from them be cancelled on the day the engineers supposed to come and install, even though I know they won’t be able to install it. Customer service are 🤬 - 6 calls today, passed from pillar to post.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Aftab_m wrote:

Having similar issues to others here - external install team arrived within a day of my order after Black Friday deals. Hit a “blockage” requiring a “construction team” - will refer and they should be out before your engineer installation visit. Well guess what, nothing after 3 weeks, so I ring - 2 days later and get an email to advise need permission from neighbours. My installation engineer is booked for next Tuesday but don’t know what he’s going to install if they haven’t done the cable to the outside of the house. Secondly, I’m migrating from another provider, so will my services from them be cancelled on the day the engineers supposed to come and install, even though I know they won’t be able to install it. Customer service are 🤬 - 6 calls today, passed from pillar to post.

Anything could happen with your installation (although, unfortunately, you are likely to be in for a long wait for your VM services based on your description).

Usual advice on here is to keep any existing services running until such time as VM is actually installed and working as expected. This potentially means an overlap of services at some point but avoids being left with no services while VM blunder around trying to get their act together.

Oh god this is not good. I have an installation date of 24 February but no cabling has been carried out yet. They have told me so many times they are coming, even comments like the team will be there within the hour. Then they always ask at the end to give feedback. I have been assured that the cabling will be done and my installation date is definitely the 24th. We will see.

Could somebody on here from Virgin comment on this as it seems to be a regular issue. As customers we appreciate honesty. I had the same problem with Vodafone and was assured by the person when I signed up to Virgin that they would be better.

bantonyb
Joining in

I work from home too and have a daughter studying for exams. This is industry wide I am afraid, they have too much power. My install date is next week but I suspect it will be cancelled. I had same problem with Vodafone, they cancelled 6 times!!

It is not good enough.

Hi @bantonyb 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear of any install worry. From the system check, everything is in hand. The pre-pull work can take place any day, upto the day of install.

Please keep us posted how the install goes.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hello Iohn,

Well guess what I had a message one hour ago, the installation has been moved to 17 March!!

Not good enough.

No free router and no dongle.

Not good enough.

Kind regards 

Antony