cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation

TanyaTink
Joining in

I'm moving into a rented property soon and for me to be able to have Virgin Media the landlord wants me to find out exactly what the engineer will have to do to install it. I currently live in a flat and moving to a 3 bedroom house so I'm not sure if it will be different.

So I was wondering if anyone knew everything that will happen?

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the property has not had a VM connection before, here is what happens.

1) The external team (usually contractors) will pull a cable from the street box up through a box in the pavement and bury a coax cable from the street to the front of the house where it terminates in what is called an omnibox. They do not need access inside of the property.

2) A VM technician will do the internal work by putting a box on the wall in whatever room you want and cabling it back to the omnibox. If you are have a TV box as well the VM hub (which provides internet access via WiFi or Ethernet cable) does not have to be in the same location as the TV box. It’s up to you where the boxes are to be located and the technicians often advise where, but usually what’s easiest for them!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

eamonnburbidge
Joining in

They will typically lay a cable from the road (or possibly someone else's house) going to your house, they will put a brown box on the exterior wall of the house, drill through the exterior wall to put the cable through to the other side and then make the cable long enough to get to wherever you want it to be. The cable on the exterior and interior will be clipped to the walls as required with nails or similar.

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @TanyaTink ,

The details given above are pretty much accurate, so I won’t repeat the advice however I would be able to let you know if the property has had services before which should eliminate most of the external work.

I will send you a private message for some details and I can look into this for you.

hope this helps.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more