Menu
a9w6k
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Installation

I have now tried to get virgin instead twice, and both times unsuccessful due to "construction delays" even though I had a successful pre-site survey each time and it was known what was needed to be done.

After 2 weeks now after my GUARANTEED installation date, I have been on the phone for hours on end and going in circles getting transferred from one team to another.

Today the area manager was meant to phone me, I was guaranteed this by an advisor, and I haven't heard a thing and most likely won't.

This is an absolute joke and would like something resolved ASAP as I am currently without any broadband and am meant to be working from home.

May I also add this is costing virgin media £5 every day according to Ofcom regulations. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation

There's no such thing as a guaranteed installation date, only an estimated one. 

And if the delay is due to construction issues due to a blocked duct/etc then no compensation is due. 

Did you cancel last time due to the construction delays? If so, the construction work would have been cancelled and will thus need to be scheduled again. 

Note that construction work can take upto 8 weeks if the local council is required to approve the works (eg. when digging up roads or pavement is required). 

0 Kudos
a9w6k
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Only going by what I've been told over the phone by multiple different advisors!

I did cancel last time but only after waiting 3 months!  It was due to the same "construction issues" which is simply laying the cable from the duct to my house which is the distance of 2 mid terraced houses, not a massive difference. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In that case since you require broadband ASAP, I would forget Virgin and go with a different provider. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As Z92 said they were alomost certainly awaiting council permission to do the digging. If the previous one was during lockdown its no surprise that wasnt forthcoming quickly.
Since cancelling you have reset the clock. May be quicker but 2-3 months is not unusual for some local councils (some are quicker) and after that then VM need to assign and schedule new digging and installation teams.

The Pre-installation and delivery team may have more info? On.. 0800 052 1734

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
a9w6k
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The last one was 3 years ago, but thought I'd give virgin a chance again, explaining everything from the start.

As for other providers it isn't possible due to an error they've been trying to fix for 3 months with the line, even after replacing it, the connection is unfortunately too intermittent.

Openreach also said there may be a longer waiting time for council permission to dig but got it within a few days not so long ago, so it's virgin that's holding things up unfortunately.

Pre-install team have no clue what's happening and they keep trying to transfere to the construction team who don't answer their phones.

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi a9w6k, thanks for getting in touch - sorry for the delayed response.

Sorry for the delay with your installation too, I appreciate this will be far from ideal. 

Taking a look into it today I can see this is due to delays with construction work required to complete the installation. An email was sent to the construction teams yesterday to chase this up, with an update expected 24-48hrs from that point. I will double check this when I return to work at the weekend, if there's been no further progress we'll contact the teams in the area and see if we can help push things along.

Tom 

0 Kudos
a9w6k
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

• Hello, it's been 3 weeks now and I've still recieved no update?
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Construction delays can take 6 - 8 weeks. 

0 Kudos
a9w6k
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes and I've been waiting 8 weeks, and heard nothing

0 Kudos