Does anyone have experience of a virgin media broadband installation being repeatedly cancelled? Any ideas on how to actually get the service installed? I’ve had 5 cancellations so far and it is incredibly frustrating. The latest cancellation was at 22:30 last night for an installation due this morning
The original install date was at the end of May 2021, but this didn’t happen. A new line needed to be connected between my house and the box but the conduit was filled with soil so the guy couldn’t do it.
After a couple of cancellations, another guy came round but got very confused because the work he was there to do had already been done. Apparently the line is now in place but it is not connected at either end, and VM won’t connect the line at my end until it is connected to the box.
There has since been more cancellations with the latest last night, and I’ve been given a new date at the end of September.
I’m not really sure what this message board is for but I’m having no luck getting any sense from the live chat. Any ideas? Do I need to contact the council to see what is going on at their end?
You're certainly on the right forum! VM seem to be having some problems with this type of installation work at present.
Unfortunately, the current process for actually getting a cable installed does seem to be via a random sequence of actions on the part of VM and its sub-contractors. Only when the sequence of required tasks randomly, and by chance, happens in the correct order does the cable get fitted! This often seems to involve technicians turning up to install VM services when no cable has been installed or VM employees turning up with no idea why they have been sent to the job or planned visits being cancelled at short notice and moved weeks into the future. Sounds like you already have experience of this.
Take a browse through the other topics on this forum and you will find multiple posts involving the issue of delayed cable installations and you'll get a good idea of the general pattern of chaos when it has gone wrong.
One of the VM forum team will pick this up in a day or two. I would normally say they will be able to help you but often on these topics they too seem to be limited in what they can do to push things forward.
(On a slightly more encouraging note, if you really do actually have the cable in place from cabinet to property then that 'should' be the worst of the task done)
I’m just keen to know whether this is something that is likely to be resolved soon or whether I should change provider. The VM people I speak to over the phone, text or live chat don’t have a clue and won’t tell me what is happening.
The VM people I speak to over the phone, text or live chat don’t have a clue and won’t tell me what is happening.
Just a bit chaotic? And yes the VM people on the phone generally don't have much of a clue other than what the scripted responses on their screens say - it's more a case of they can't tell you rather than won't. Actually you're lucky here, not too uncommonly, they make stuff up, 'a manager will call you back', 'it'll definitely happen tomorrow' etc.
OK what alternatives to VM are available to you? The VM install will happen or not in it's own sweet time, personally I'd get in another supplier, if VM do manage to get it installed then you have a 14 days cooling off period after that anyway to cancel with no penalty, or if it works OK then keep it and cancel the other suppliers