Menu
caveman999
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Installation of broadband today delayed after Kier visit

Hi all,

Hope someone can help! I was due to have broadband installed today, but, as feared, a chap who turned up in a Kier van, said this was not possible as someone had placed the small black access plate (underneath the lid is green ducting with a black cable and tarmaced in last week) 2 feet away from a green arrow that it was apparently supposed to be sited. He said that the small black access plate had 2 feet of council grass verge to cross and that it would have to be resited to the green arrow. The green arrow is right up against my rental house's fence boundary. He said that had the access plate, etc. been placed there, he would have had no issue installing. Anyway, I called Virgin, but they seem vague about what happens next. From what I can glean, it seems a team need to come and reinstall this small black access plate on top of the green arrow, the cable be connected/pulled from there to be rental house's wall and the necessary work inside done, so this seems a minimum of 3 visits needed. Would appreciate anyone being able to help understand what will happen and when as the process seems rather opaque to me.

I can supply any details upon request. Hope the above makes sense!

Thanks,

Julian

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation of broadband today delayed after Kier visit

Sorry to say, but expect that there may well be a long delay to getting your service installed. If you read through this forum, you will find many similar topics where getting the necessary permission and work done can, and has, taken weeks.

The method of getting this done involves action and communication between VM, VM's sub-contractor to do the work and, most likely, the local council to give permission for the work if it is taking place on a public street.

Do you have an existing broadband service in place already? If so, you could consider extending that if it looks like you are actually going to experience a long delay, until such time as you actually get the VM service installed and up and running to your satisfaction.

If an adjoining property, which is easily accessible, already has a VM service in place, then you may get a connection joined to that to begin with, with a view to installing your own cable later.

I have read a few recent topics on here from new customers, with a delayed installation, being offered a mobile data dongle to tide them over. Not sure how commonplace that is though or if it is just in specific cases.

Wait for the VM forum team to respond. They normally reply within a week and are usually quicker. They may be able to tell you more.

caveman999
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, goslow - very kind of you to respond, though depressing to hear that - I feared as such. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@caveman999 wrote:

Thanks, goslow - very kind of you to respond, though depressing to hear that - I feared as such. 

A number for the 'pre-install' team is given by a VM forum team member here on another (very similar) topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/External-Work/m-p/4692749#M177123

You could try that but you might not get too much more useful information, if they actually pick up. Consider any dates given as 'subject to change'!

0 Kudos
caveman999
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Can't believe how quickly things changed. At about 4pm, I had a call from a Virgin install technician. He popped round and said Kier contractors should have been able to complete their install but Kier contractors seemed reluctant to take cable over a foot of grass verge adjacent to my property. They told me they would need to check with the council if this could be done. However, the Virgin technician did a video call with his boss and checked that this could be done and an hour later had pulled through the cable from the path, pinned it to my fence, and pulled cable to my house before completing and testing the broadband connection in my house. This was a turnaround I was not expecting. He assured me that tomorrow Kier would come round and secure the cabling under my lawn and pin to the house, etc. so it looks tidy. Appreciate the response given and hopefully give some insight for others.

Thanks! 

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good news indeed! Nice to read a story with a good outcome for you on here and glad that my warning of potential doom and gloom given above turned out not to be the case for your installation!

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Crikey! That went from 0-100 pretty quickly!

Top result!!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos