Menu
mathsboy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Installation from street

Hi. I have booked a Virgin Media broadband installation for later this month.

There is a CATV slot in the pavement outside my house but it's on the opposite side of the house to where I want the cable to run to the room in which the Hub will be placed, so it would mean running a cable across a block paved driveway and across the front of the house first.

However, my neighbour has a Virgin Media service already and their own CATV pavement slot is at the "correct" side of my house.  Their wire runs from the pavement through a green corrugated tube within a shared flower bed and yhem the wire makes its way to the front of their house and onwards into their home.

My question therefore is whether the VM installer might be able to use my neighbours VM CATV slot and green corrugated tube in order to create a quicker installation for the installer and a more convenient, less unsightly installation for me?  Or is it just one house per CATV slot?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation from street

The engineers will use whichever CATV slot means the easiest way of getting a cable to you as long as the cable remains on your property. 

If the tube enters onto their property then they'll unlikely use it, but I don't see why they wouldn't just use your side of the flower bed. 

mathsboy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  VM seem to have been here in the last few days and have spraypainted the CATV slot outside my house, the slot that would provide the less desirable wiring solution.  How do I get them to use the other one instead? I am worried that once they have committed to the less desirable one then I won't be able to get them to switch to the better CATV slot option of using the one on the other side of the house which has been used for our neighbours.  And can two households share a CATV pavement slot? 

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Each CATV slot only has a single cable outlet for one property, if they have to use the one you want they would have to pull a cable from the nearest cabinet.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mathsboy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike.

At what point do they do the pull through in terms of the installation process?  Is it the pre-installation for which they say the householder does not need to be present, or is it on the actual connection date when they come and wire up the house?

i.e. do I need to contact them ASAP to get them to use the better CATV slot location instead, given that they already seem to have been along and spray-painted the less good option, or can I ask them when they come to connect everything up?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If they have spray painted then it sounds like they are planning construction work, so that could mean that they want to move the position of the box. 

That said, I have seen 2 cables coming out of one box when the box has been between houses. 

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yes it will be the pre-installation team who pull the cable from the cabinet to the access point and then across your property to the house leaving a coil of cable for the internal engineer to complete the work.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mathsboy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There isn't a box on our house.  It's never had a CATV connection to any provider, including VM.

My real question is at what point I need to express a preference for which CATV pavement slot they use, and whether it's too late to do so when they come to complete the installation of the Hub etc.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
mathsboy
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  So how do I contact the pre-installation team to ask them to use the better CATV access point?

Have been on hold for over an hour to 0800 052 1734 and no one picks up...

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

you could try to contact the pre install team and arrange something - but the cable pull team are usually sub contractors and VM systems are not joined up so even if the pre install people arrange something thats no guarantee that things will happen as you [may] have arranged

the only sure way is for you to be there when the pull team turn up and talk it through with them and hope they see things your way - theres no problem in 2 cables coming out of the same T - in my area - old telewest they only put one T per pair of semi's on the dividing line - saved them work i guess

the pre install/cable pull date is a moving window - it can happen any day between now and your install date so if you need to be there you need to be aware of that

Tony