cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation - flats

daveedjackson
On our wavelength

I’ve just bought a top floor (second) flat. Called virgin first to check there was virgin already in the building. It is, a few neighbours have it or have had, even a neighbour opposite. Great I think as at least it’s already into the building. (No idea where) 

order my packaged, and get a text saying engineers need to visit to do some works before my installation? That doesn’t quite make sense to me. I want to arrange a preinstall, to talk about where it can come into the flat as I want it going up into the loft and down to a cupboard centrally. called to chat it through and the lady who I spoke to say the engineers are the preinstall, which I know not quite to be accurate. I don’t live in the periphery yet, and am undergoing some renovation works. 

agh. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is on the wall point that you do have?

As I said earlier, an IRS connection for Virgin Media uses existing cabling that are used for Freeview/Satellite. Virgin Media then hook into the distribution box for that in the block and send their signal down the existing cable.

Here's a rather detailed explainer of how that works - https://www.southeastconsortium.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Virgin-VM-over-IRS-Solution-2019.p...

In regards to the address listing for Virgin Media, when cabling is done in an area, the cable company that put it in will mark addresses down as being 'servicable', but that is always subject to final survey.

Depending how long ago that address list was originally created, it can be that circumstances have changed and new installs aren't possible, even if existing installs can continue to work.

End of the day though, I do hope that you are able to get the services you want.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is no simple answer.

You'll need to contact the management company for your flat to understand how the block has been wired for Virgin Media.There are several ways that has been done over the years and depends on the block size, age and management agreement.

For instance it could be that each flat as it's own wiring from the street, Virgin could be connecting into the IRS TV system your building has installed for Freeview/Satellite/cable, or it could be a bespoke Virgin Media full fibre installation.

It would depend on the install type as to what options you then have - it could be that you have to use whatever wall point has been pre-installed, or you will have options closer to what you're wanting for a specific installation setup.

Sorry I realise reading my first comment back I should have added in somethings. 

It's an old building, (70's) There are no media points in the flat at all, no old sockets and no sign there has ever been virgin in my flat. There are also no signs in the hallways, unless hidden behind a wall. All I know is that it exists in the building (previous neighbours have had it according to the sales guy who could see several numbers had been with Virgin. It's a share of freehold with a managing agent. Who I don't think are particularly hands on when it comes to anything frankly.

I'm just having broadband/phone. So not particularly complicated.

There is an aerial in my loft, but other than that down the wall with a socket it seems nothing else is there. I'll wait for them to come and see. In the meantime I'm going to make sure there is a path unto my loft from the main entrance way (electrical cupboard outside the flat which backs onto a cupboard) Luckily I have a builder who I'm sure can do that for me.

thanks

David

If I were you, I’d really not rely on what a salesdroid salesman told you, and instead, knock on a few doors and see if any of your neighbours actually do have VM. OK call me a cynic, but better to be absolutely sure that the infrastructure does really does exist in the building, because if it doesn’t then you are probably in for a world of pain and frustration getting it installed and might want to look around for whatever alternative suppliers might be available.

Thanks, I've looked at alternatives. It's either Virgin or BT. On first search it said Virgin was available. Not sure they would outright lie about flats in the building either having or having had it. If it comes to it, I'll cancel and get something else. Nothing is ever easy. I'm on the second floor of the building so they won't be drilling ahold in the side of the flat to install it. 

What I really need is to organise a preinstall visit, not just the engineer visit before installation.But the customer service agent I spoke to was a bit useless when I specifically asked to arrange a pre-install visit.

Hi daveedjackson, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with me in the Community. 

It's really great to hear that you are wanting Virgin Media services when you move in. 

When an install is booked, 2 visits are scheduled. The first being a 'floating' appointment. This is a pre installation visit when a member of the crew will attend the property to ensure the external cables are there and ready to be hooked up. This can change each day and may not be done until the day before your actual installation is booked. 

Once that visit is done, the engineer attending on the day will be the one to look at the internal side of things. This will be who you can discuss your options with before any work happens. If you're unhappy with the route they suggest, you can offer another however it's worth noting that our engineers will not go up in to a loft. What they may do is leave you with enough cable to do this yourself should you choose to do so. 

Being on the second floor, if you don't have any points available for the cable to be connected internally then there is a chance we won't be able to install you at all. Looking at the address, there hasn't been a connection there before so it will be a case of waiting until the preinstall visit is completed. 

Please keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@daveedjackson wrote:

I'm on the second floor of the building so they won't be drilling ahold in the side of the flat to install it. 

Which is why you need to talk to your management company as to how your flat block has been wired. As far a I know Virgin Media won't do any external install above the 1st floor, and your management company will know where any internal wiring goes as they will have approved it.

If the wiring doesn't already exist into your property today, then any change to that will also require the approval of the freeholder / management company as part of wayleave. But I have to be honest, if it doesn't exist today, I'm not sure what the chances are you will now get it.

Older flat blocks were installed by previous cable companies to Virgin Media, and ran cabling into buildings as part of a whole building install as part of a 'vertical street', and all flats were done at the same time as it would be extremely difficult to come back later to add them. Unfortunately this also means that cabling faults are extremely difficult to fix and for a long time any Multi-dwelling Unit (MDU) installs weren't done. Existing MDUs become unserviceable if the repair cost or access stops it being economical to run.

After the MDU builds stopped there were some scenarios where an install for lower floors of flat blocks were arranged i.e. Ground or 1st floor as these could be run from the street in the same way that a house could. But again, these generally aren't done now for a few reasons.

When MDU installs were restarted by Virgin Media they are either via an IRS TV system which means that they hook into existing wiring that has been installed by the management company, or the cabling is put in during construction. Either way it's done, any maintenance or cable replacements also require the management company involvement to access communal areas.

Hey Kath_F,

So I don't live at the property yet, the text which came just talked about external works. No worries there. 

The frustration is that I was told that there had/or was connections to Virgin Media in the building either in the past or currently, suggesting it's in the building. I know there hasn't ever been a connection in my apartment, as I checked that also. And there was no record of it. But building wise there has. happy to discuss in a Private message if easier. Good to know they won't go in the loft (happy if they leave a length of cabe to be honest. 

I guess the question of how it will get into the flat. The route BT have taken with the phone line is come up a central shoot across the hall (were the fuse boards are for each flat then go across the ceiling/landing and through my door frame. this is ok for BT although that's going to be removed as it's not unto the fire regulations currently. New door etc to be fitted.

I have an electrical/fuse cupboard on my side, which backs onto a cupboard in my hall. This is the ideal place to feed the cable through. So am probably going to get my builder to have a look at drilling a hole in that to feed through. Basically making a path for the cable.

I understand it's a tricky one as one size defo doesn't fit all. But there is no way after getting all new skirtings and doorways put in, I'm going to put a cable across the top hahah, so want the best clean install as I can 🙂 

Thanks for your help. It's most appreciated

ok, I don't think I'm being particularly clear. I called and checked with Virgin before placing the order. I understand now that might not have been true - but surely that's a hefty set of untruths to tell someone. I didn't do the order through him, he wasn't gaining anything. They told me neighbours in the building either have/or had Virgin. We weren't specific but I live in the "odds" side, so 1-17). He confirmed that 15 had it, 7 had it and some others.

My particuar flat has no visible connection. Apart from a Coax from the loft down the wall to a socket. 

It's a shared freehold, complicated, and the management company are hired by us to manage the building. Anyway they are pretty useless, but I'll fire them an email to ask the question if they know how it's wired.

Virgin Media would know if there are connections in the building and there will be some record somewhere of how it's connected, surely?