cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation experience

Andrew799
Tuning in

I just thought I would take the time to share details of my installation experience. 

My area has only just recently gone live with Virgin Media. The network in my area is all full fibre using the BT telegraph poles. Within a couple of days of placing my order, I had the external work completed and a fibre run from the pole and attached to my property. The fibre runs down the wall and into a quite large rectangular Virgin Media branded outside box. I assumed that this would be to house the external converter box - but I was wrong (more on that later). 

One thing that surprised me is that the engineer who completed the external work expected that I should have been aware he was attending - I wasn't. The original install appointment I requested for the internal work, when placing my order, was put back two weeks as soon as my order was accepted. It seems this happens regularly. Why offer time slots online when placing an order to just move it back once the order is confirmed?

Moving onto my appointment for the internal works - I expected that I would join the club of posters on this forum who keep having their appointments delayed. To my surprise the appointment remained as scheduled and I got a call from the engineer on my install day at 0755 hrs to say he would be five minutes. Exchanged all the usual pleasantries and saw that he had a Hub 5 with him (Surprised to see a hub 5 after reading the posts on here about problems getting hold of them). 

The engineer installed an additional box inside. This is white and has the fibre terminating directly into it (he pulled it through from the outside). The box has its own separate power supply and then a coax connector to which the usual coax and splitter is connected to. I expected to have an install where the coax conversion is done in the outside box and there is power fed back through the coax in the wall. We got chatting and he said that this is a new installation method that brings the fibre inside the property. He said it is to future proof the network ready for when DOCSIS and RFoG will no longer be used. If the fibre is already inside the property I suppose it makes it easier to self install any full fibre non DOCSIS equipment in the future (however that will look) 

After the install I tested the hub 5 with a 2.5 network adapter and was pleased to see a ping of 8ms and speed of 1112.48 down and 57.72 up. Very pleased with this. Obviously Wi-Fi isn't quite this fast, but I am getting very good speeds with my Wi-Fi 6 MESH access points. 

Been trying to get used to the V360 interface. It is better than using the built in Freeview on my TV, however I feel the interface doesn't feel as refined and intuitive as Sky Q. I expect I will get used to it. 

One thing that is disappointing is Sky Ultra HD on demand content. At no point during my order journey was there any mention of this not being included. Apparently I need to upgrade in order to receive this content in UHD (whatever this upgrade is) and the only way to do this is call. A bit of research seems to indicate that only Ultimate Volt packages receive this but I still can't be sure. 

For a new customer the channel packages etc are very confusing. Some parts of the website explain packages based on the number of channels with +drama + docs etc. Then other parts refer to Mix it and Max it etc. The website seems to jump between a new layout and an old one depending on what page you are looking at ( I actually think the old design feels better ) and the info seems to differ on both. Being able to compare the options is difficult when there are so many combinations.

Here's hoping It is smooth sailing from now.  

2 REPLIES 2

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Andrew799,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Many apologies for the delays regarding the installation, once the external work is completed then usually the installation would be done quicker than what has happened with this matter.

With regards to the webpage, are you running into any error messages at all?

Regards,

Kain

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Andrew799 wrote:

Been trying to get used to the V360 interface. It is better than using the built in Freeview on my TV, however I feel the interface doesn't feel as refined and intuitive as Sky Q. I expect I will get used to it. 

One thing that is disappointing is Sky Ultra HD on demand content. At no point during my order journey was there any mention of this not being included. Apparently I need to upgrade in order to receive this content in UHD (whatever this upgrade is) and the only way to do this is call. A bit of research seems to indicate that only Ultimate Volt packages receive this but I still can't be sure. 

For a new customer the channel packages etc are very confusing. Some parts of the website explain packages based on the number of channels with +drama + docs etc. Then other parts refer to Mix it and Max it etc. The website seems to jump between a new layout and an old one depending on what page you are looking at ( I actually think the old design feels better ) and the info seems to differ on both. Being able to compare the options is difficult when there are so many combinations.

Here's hoping It is smooth sailing from now.  

Hi @Andrew799 

Welcome aboard. Glad to see the internet is providing good speeds fro you.

The following page shows the channels available on the current Mixit and Maxit tiers. 

https://www.virginmedia.com/ChannelGuide_360_February_23.pdf 

Customers on the Mixit tier can add Personal Picks which are shown <<< here >>> 

The Sky Cinema and Sky Entertainment UHD add ons haven't been included as standard.in the Ultimate Volt bundle since 1st November 2022.

It is now only available as a £6 per month add on for new customers, or those regrading/recontracting.

The info below from the TV sub section towards the very bottom of the page on https://www.virginmedia.com/tv shows 

Sky UHD: Sky Cinema and Sky Entertainment UHD requires a V6 or Virgin TV 360 box and a 4K compatible TV/device with HDCP 2.2. Up to 4x the clarity of standard HD content: based on comparison of HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) versus UHD (3840 x 2160 pixels).

£6 a month for customers with Maxit TV packages (Fullhouse/ Bigger Bundle/ Ultimate Oomph/ Ultimate Volt). 30 days’ notice required to remove Sky Cinema and Sky Entertainment UHD pick. Prices may increase at any time during the contract.

VM have in the past week also added three Sky Sports UHD channels which are available as an extra for an additional cost.

There is an online magazine which details what's coming up on TV on VM https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit 

The https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/virgin-tv-360  page may help you getting used to the TV 360, but any queries you may have with the TV services just post in the 360 forum and we'll do our best to help..

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali