cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation due tomorrow

owenb28
Joining in

I’m due to have virgin installed to my home tomorrow. I live in a bungalow and the outside box has been put on the exterior wall of the bedroom so I need them to run the cable up the wall and into the loft and then down the wall where my router will be. Will there be a problem with them drilling the hole high up and going into my loft? I know how strict health and safety rules are with things like this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@owenb28 wrote:

Ok thanks, hopefully I get an amendable Tech because I’m an electrician and having trunking will be an eye saw for me. I’ve allowed for a few options for him to run his cable so fingers crossed if need be I’ll be there to get in the loft to run the cable through the loft and down the riser and let him do his bit either end of the cable. 

If that's the situation, then I think the only objection a tech could come up with would be that the cable would be ending up in a location that VM wouldn't service in the future. But that would be taking a fairly hard-line view!

That said, if you're an electrician, and you are willing to help run the cable in, then I'd say you have a much better chance of getting what you want. Any prep you can do in advance to help smooth the job would probably be helpful IMO.

As with many things to do with VM, you might just find it's down to the person who turns up on the day. Hope you get it fitted as you want it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

From past topics on here, AFAIK VM tech's don't do installations through lofts, for obvious reasons. If you live in a bungalow though, I would have thought they should be able to clip the cable around the eaves to your chosen location.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Loft access has been refused in the past.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

What if the location for the socket needs to be in a room that’s in the centre of the bungalow and not on an outside wall? I’ve just had my bungalow renovated so I don’t want a cable clipped round the bungalow along the skirting as that will look ugly 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You might have to hope you get an amenable installation tech who will fit the cables as you want but keep in mind the fact that they are usually on a time-allocated slot to complete the job so typically they just want to be in an out as quickly as possible.

If you do need to have cable inside, you could look at this D-Line trunking to retrofit to cover any internal cable

https://www.d-line-it.com/trunking/

it comes in quadrant and half-round, in various sizes and colours. Looks a bit better than normal mini trunking and can be blended in with skirting board/floors so it is less visible.

Ok thanks, hopefully I get an amendable Tech because I’m an electrician and having trunking will be an eye saw for me. I’ve allowed for a few options for him to run his cable so fingers crossed if need be I’ll be there to get in the loft to run the cable through the loft and down the riser and let him do his bit either end of the cable. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Could you today run a cord through the loft and out through the soffit so that the cable can be pulled through?  As an electrician you will have done this sort of thing before 🙂

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yeh if he doesn’t want me to pull the cable through the loft (that’s floor boarded anyway) I could leave him a draw wire so there’s no need for him to get in the loft at all to where I’d like the socket to go. Thanks 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@owenb28 wrote:

If that's the situation, then I think the only objection a tech could come up with would be that the cable would be ending up in a location that VM wouldn't service in the future. But that would be taking a fairly hard-line view!

That said, if you're an electrician, and you are willing to help run the cable in, then I'd say you have a much better chance of getting what you want. Any prep you can do in advance to help smooth the job would probably be helpful IMO.

As with many things to do with VM, you might just find it's down to the person who turns up on the day. Hope you get it fitted as you want it.