Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Installation drilling and cables under floor boards

Hi all,

Hope I have the right forum. I'm due an install next week for TV/Broadband/Phone package (I won't use the phone). Currently I have sky. The TV comes into my house downstairs through the living room wall and connects to the Sky Box. The Phone line comes into my 'server cupboard' on the first floor landing, and there are no external walls to this cupboard.

I'd really like to install the virgin box in the cupboard and distribute the TV over my ethernet network. However, this means drilling a hole above my front door, and feeding the cables under the floorboards for about 2.5 metres. I have chopped a floorboard ready for the cable feed, I'm just worried if the engineer will drill the hole or not. I can do this before they arrive, BUT I don't want to drill a hole without any reason if they a) won't feed the cable through, b) have an alternative solution.

I know the T6 box and modem need to be near each other (I suspect they just need to be connected, which I can achieve if absolutely necessary at distance through my ethernet network), so I don't think distance is really an issue.

So I'm wondering:

• Will the engineer drill above the door (work at first floor height), and feed cables under floorboards (with my help at the other end).
  • If the engineer won't drill the hole, will they supply the cable and I'll pull it through after drilling it myself for them to connect up. As I'll need to drill the hole in advance of them coming.
  • Does the modem rely on the existing phone line or do VM install their own phone line which could be installed anywhere? I don't want them to install downstairs, just because it's convenient, as I have limited ethernet ports on the wall to feed numerous devices.

The good thing I do have is a coax and ethernet network in the house, all running to the server cupboard, so I am hopeful that a solution is possible, I just want the most efficient and tidiest. Also the server cupboard is in a more central spot for wifi distribution to ground/first/attic etc.

Thoughts / help?
Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation drilling and cables under floor boards

p.s. I tried calling VM to get answers directly though the call centres are closed due to Covid19, hence asking people on here. Any mods able to look at the query?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A few general points. VM will use their own co-ax cable for the TV boxes and Hub and will NEVER use any pre-existing 3d party cable - so is yours original VM cable? Dont be tempted to use it if it isnt as its against the T&C's and can cause issues with other users.

The install team always want to take he easiest route in but you can say where you want the connection points installing and they will drill the holes to service that. The VM cables run around the outside walls of my house from the "omnibox" to the 3 connection points I have - 1 is at first floor level. They wont lift floorboards etc for internal runs - but if you have done it already and laid down some "pull ropes" (strong string!) then they can be used to pull the VM cables to where you want them.

Remember the best way to connect the TV box to the Hub is via ethernet cable (wifi works but it can be problematic) so runs of good quality Cat5e or better cable will help - but VM wont install those unless the box is just a metre or two away from the Hub.

Re the phone that will need connecting to the back of the Hub (they have an adapter!) rather than the old telephone point - the Hub doesnt need connecting to that point either - its VOIP.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Vm will install their own cable to their own router. They won't use existing coax. The external box has to be on the ground floor but the engineer can install a max of 1 floor up. 

The TV box also requires coax. Its only uses ethernet for epg and catchup services. I prefer to just have broadband and use other services such as Netflix as I don't care about broadcast channels. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply jbrennand!

No, the coax cable I have is a sky input, and then my own coax 'network' basically a point in each room and a booster box in my 'server cupboard'.
I assumed they would look for the easiest route in (who wouldn't?!). They have been and installed a big brown box outside the house. I'm guessing that is the omnibox? So I can have more than one connection point, or am I supposed to purchase multi room subscriptions for this? I thought they wouldn't want to faff on, which is why I plan to do exactly that - drill the hole in, and use some cable rods to set a 'pull rope' etc. It's going to be a challenge, but I know it is possible. If I can have 2 inputs - one into the living room, and the other to my first floor I would be delighted as it gives me flexibility. 
I have plenty of cat6 cable running in the house and prefer everything hard wired rather than wifi so that shouldn't be a problem. I plan to distribute the TV via hdmi to ethernet converters. 
Great on the phone - I won't use the landline - I don't even know my home number but that's handy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks also Z92.

That's handy. General consensus on their own coax. External box is now on the ground floor - they came out and did that yesterday. Great to hear the engineer can work at 1 floor height, and as said we will drill a hole and prep to pull the cable in.

Are you saying technically the V6 box can run without the coax, but naturally you would only get catchup services. That's interesting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

N.B. these comments refer to V6 TV boxes and may not apply to the new 360 - I have never seen or used one - but many people on the fora are using them and can comment on whether their multiroom function is any different - I just dont know.

That said.... every VM V6 box and also the Hub needs a separate co-ax connection to work - as well as an active subscription priced for.... BB & Hub only - or Hub + 1 or 2 or 3 TV boxes and their individual subscriptions (price will vary accordingly - check website).

If you want to watch VM TV on several TV's but just on one subscription - then that can be done by HDMI splitters/cabling etc - the downside of course is that all TV's will show exactly the same thing/channel at the same time and are controlled from 1 box/remote which may well be in another room !

VM will install those cables and wall points for each unit you are getting.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If your going to run a v6 box without coax you might as well just use the smart TV or similar device for streaming as it'll be better. 

Virgin will install multiple entry points if you want so you could have the TV box on coax and router in another room if needed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure it's a V6 box I'm getting. 
I'm happy with hdmi over ethernet and 1 channel control. 
I'd therefore assume they will only install one point - again what I was expecting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

No I'll be installing the V6 with the coax, I was just interested in the possibility that it *could* be used without coax.
Good to hear on the multiple points. Fingers crossed I get a proactive engineer who wants to help the customer, not just look for the quickest install and go home. Technically I can cope with that due to the home network I have, but I'd rather keep the tech in one place to reduce clutter etc.

Thanks again to you both for the fast and helpful replies - really appreciated!! 🙂 

0 Kudos