Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Installation delays, what's going on?

I'm trying to find out more information about why my broadband installation is delayed, but I'm struggling to navigate the various departments -- I wonder if anyone can help or point me in the right direction?

I originally had an install scheduled for 21st September, but even through the website said the order was successful I didn't receive any more details. I've had installation delays at other properties I've lived at, so I should have clocked this earlier, but called on the 20th, sorted this, and an install for the 5th October was arranged.

Someone from Virgin visited the property on the 30th September (but said they didn't need to speak to me, and were just checking the outside) but I was then contacted on the 1st October, told there was a construction issue, and that the install would be moved to 20th October.

On the 5th October (original installation date?) I received a call telling me there was a blocked duct in the street which needed a construction team to fix, but that this would be done in advance of the installation scheduled for the 20th.

At some point I had two installations when I logged into my virgin account — one on the 17th October, and one on the 20th. On the 17th no-one came, and it moved to the 19th. On the 19th no-one came and it moved to the 20th. When that happened it bumped the other install to November...

I've tried calling a few times, but I get bounced between teams, or forwarded to a team which has their office closed, and the main customer services don't seem to be able to tell me what's going on. Most recently I was directed to the constructions team, and the automated message said I needed to email them, but when I email the autoresponder says they can only help with construction work, and not cable pulls or other installation work.

At this point it's fairly clear something needs to still happen externally, but I'm not sure what, or who to speak to. It's my understanding that the later install will drill through the wall and install the cable that's been left there by the previous team. 

Does construction work (to fix the duct) still need to be done?
Am I waiting on a cable pull? (if that's the right term for a cable to the property)
How do I find this out? and if it's actually going to happen soon?

I'm really struggling to work from home without a solid internet connection -- tethering via 4G is not working well! 😞 

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation delays, what's going on?

If you have a blocked duct then the installation will be kept being pushed back until they are allowed to do it as they need planning permission. 

It can take anything upto 8 weeks to get planning permission. 

So it could be done tomorrow, or it could be done in 2 months time. 

You'll know when it's done when there's a cable on your driveway 🙂 

You MIGHT be able to move the date forward, but this date MIGHT be moved back again if they don't have the required permissions. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey.

I'm also having this trouble. I have seen the same pre pull team three times so far each time telling me the blockage needs to be removed. 

• I have now an appointment booked this Saturday with two virgin engineer's .. one to do the inside the other to do the outside. Note* I already had the cable ran from the little bit on the path to my house. Done a really neat job to be fair but they are yet to pull the cable because of this blockage. It's driving me mad. I'm working off a 4g dongle using a three SIM. I wish I didn't cancel my Plusnet broadband. On a positive note it's nice knowing that there is a £5 a day compensation scheme. If it doesn't go live on the 24th I don't know whether to cancel or wait it out.... 
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You may not get that fiver a day as they may weasle out of it due to point 2 in their terms under the automatic compensation scheme 

2.  If you require an engineer installation, we’ll arrange the most convenient date. If at the point of placing your order, we’re aware of any additional engineering work required in order to provide the service – such as the premises to our network, it may require third party permissions or permits outside of our control. In which case, we’ll provide a provisional activation date, but we may need to contact you to let you know if we need to confirm a different install date. If we have to change a provisional activation date, this will not trigger a credit under the scheme.

If we don’t install on any confirmed date we’ll automatically credit your first bill by £5 per day until you’re up and running, providing you’re eligible.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well, it's 2 weeks later, and it's been magically rebooked for another two weeks 😭

On the 21st October a construction team came and pulled the cable to the front of the property, at the time they said they'd been up the road for a couple of hours fixing the problem (I assume the blocked duct), but that they'd fixed it and with the cable pulled to the front of the property. On the 27th I received a text message confirming this, telling me the external work was complete, and that "We'll see you on Wed 04 Nov to complete the installation". Great news! 

But at 16:49 the day before I missed a phone call, and got another text much later telling me that external work still needed to be completed. Calling Virgin it seems my account still says construction work is needed, which surely can't be right as the cable has been pulled?

@Z92 wrote:

You'll know when it's done when there's a cable on your driveway 🙂 

This does seem to have been done (2 weeks ago, on the 21st October)... where would the cable go if not to the street cabinet?? So it seems like something is just wrong on my account now, or something hasn't been updated correctly, but I have no idea how to get someone to look at this. Speaking to the preinstalls team they want to send someone to check everything is in place before sending someone else to actually do the install... which has been moved back another 2 weeks to the 16th November.

I just want someone to put the cable through the wall and stick a super hub on the end, I don't want TV, I don't need help setting it up (I'm a network engineer), I just need it plugged in. Is there anything I can do? I'm starting to wonder if I should get an ADSL line or infinity installed while I wait, it won't be the same speed, but I've been using a 4G modem with an external antenna for 2 months now, and it's making working from home so hard.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Book to get an ADSL line installed, then whichever is installed first gets the contract.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

Book to get an ADSL line installed, then whichever is installed first gets the contract.

My main problem is that even infinity is only going to give me ~70Mbit/s down as a best case, rather than the ~500Mbit/s I'm trying to get from Virgin. Unfortunately I'm outside of any other FTTP supplier areas, so they're the best option by far (if it's ever installed of course).

Perhaps I can find an infinity supplier that offers a rolling 1 month contract -- looks like NowTV do if you pay a £60 set up fee... 😩

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I let my lad use my BT 70 / 18Mbs backup line for gaming and streaming and he says it is far better than our VM 500 / 38Mbs line.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos