cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation delayed for 2 months (so far)

Luna-
Joining in

I was promised a broadband installation on 22nd of December, yet it has been delayed for over 49 days now and it will be even further delayed for an additional 15 days.

Here's my story:

I initially booked my broadband installation on 1st of December 2022 because I was about to move into my new bought house over the next 2 weeks. I was assured the services would be installed on 22nd of December.

On 16 December I get an email that says the installation appointment had to be rescheduled to a later date due to technical difficulties. This later date was 30th of January. The following weeks, I have been desperately calling the customer service and one person managed to reschedule my installation to an earlier date (12th of January). Not ideal, but still a small progress.

On 24th of December it was changed again to 16th of January. Explanation: pre-pull team needs to dig the ground on the street.

On 4th of January, the installation date was changed to 23 of Janurary. Customer service kept saying they need some permissions before digging the ground in front of my house.

One day before installation that they last scheduled on 23 of January, I get the well known message: "Installation delay: 10th of February" . At this point it's been 31 days without broadband. On the same day, I called the customer service and they offered me a 1 month 200GB free mobile dongle as a compensation, which had to be ordered 3 or 4 times by different people and I ended up getting it on 2nd of February.

The long-waited technicians eventually arrived and started digging the ground as promised on 1st of February. My hopes got up.

On 6th of February, I got called/emailed and told that the installation is going to be further delayed because the "pre-pull needs some more working". The rescheduled date is 24th of February. At this point it's been 46 days without broadband. One lady at the customer's service offered me £50 as the "compensation" which is a random ammount considering it says on their website that it's £5.25/day if they don’t install the services on the promised day until installation’s completed and £26.24 if they don’t turn up on the promised day of an appointment. She didn't know how to explain how the compensation was calculated. The money never reached my account.

Funny story: One customer's service agent told me he can offer me £10 so I don't get upset thet my installation has been delayed so many times. I mean...

I understand that there can be unexpected technical issues, but I feel like my situation kept getting neglected. As I have already invested a lot of time and money into this service, I am requesting a discount or other type of compensation to make up for the delayed installation.
I look forward to hearing from you soon and hope to receive a satisfactory resolution to this matter.

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Luna- wrote:

I was promised a broadband installation on 22nd of December, yet it has been delayed for over 49 days now and it will be even further delayed for an additional 15 days.

<snip>

Sadly, you are describing a familiar tale on here.

Go back through your records and find 'the date initially confirmed in writing' when VM said they were going to activate your services (which will typically mention a technician visit to install equipment and activate services) - para 9 in the OFCOM doc below. If it is a confirmed date (no mention of a provisional date) that is the date you start counting your compensation from at £5.25 per day and £26.24 for each failed tech visit when you are asked to be in and VM fails to turn up without giving you 24 hours notice of the cancellation. Refer

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

and updated rates

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

As you have probably already realised, you can place no faith in the dates given to you by VM over the phone. Your next date for installation may be the actual one or may be another failure and another delay.

The information you get from VM staff over the phone about compensation can be similarly unreliable as evidenced in topics on here. Draw up a timeline of what has happened and track all VM's failures, missed appointments and non-installations on it as you go along and work out your running total of compensation due. This will help you get the correct compensation at the end. VM has to credit your account within 30 days of you getting installed.

If VM does not pay any compensation due correctly, you would have to use the VM formal complaints procedure first (as a formal requirement) then escalate to Ombudsman Services (the arbitration service).

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Luna- 👋,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am so sorry for the delay with your Install. I can appreciate it's not been a great start for you and would love to take a closer look into the issues highlighted. 

I will pop you a PM now to confirm some details and we can take it from there.

Speak soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs