Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Installation delayed after date confirmed

Hello,

I signed up for Virgin Media and chose an installation date of 6th June 2020. I then received an e-mail from Virgin with a copy of my contract which confirmed the installation date would be 6th June 2020.

I contacted my old provider to let them know this and arranged for the cancellation to take place on 16th June 2020, thinking 10 days of overlap would be more than enough.

The following day an engineer randomly appeared on my doorstep saying he was there to check if any external work would be required during the installation. He left after about five minutes without coming back to confirm anything with me.

Later that evening I received an e-mail from Virgin stating my installation had been put on hold due to external work being required but no date was provided. The following day I received another e-mail confirming the installation had been moved to 22nd June 2020, more than two weeks later than originally agreed.

I contacted my current provider to extend the existing contract to cover the additional 6 days, but they advised that changes to cancellation dates had to be made within 24 hours and as that had expired there was nothing they could do.

Given that I don't think it was made clear the installation date could be delayed by more than two weeks after it had been confirmed along with my contract, would Virgin be in a position to provide a service (e.g. mobile broadband) in the 6 day interim period, or am I wasting my time even contacting them to ask about this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation delayed after date confirmed

VM unlikely to do that. I am sure the VM small print will say somewhere that installation dates arent "guaranteed" - due to unforeseen circumstances. Sometimes if an external cable has to be replaced for example - this can involve getting council permission to do some digging - and they operate on glacial timescales.
Bit late I know... but standard advice on here is never to cancel your previous suppler until the VM service is in, running and you are satisfied with it - a month of 2 supplies is a small price to pay.

Are your current suppliers "really" insistent that you cant move onto a rolling 30 day contract with them ? That would be unusual - who are you with - just for info.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you are moving to a supplier with totally different infrastructure this scenario is always a possibility. The advice I give time & time again is to overlap your services with your old provider as your BT line will still be available even after you switch. You can always port landline numbers at a later date if you choose this option. It may mean a short period of paying for two services, but at least you are not left without any.

You will also not get any compensation for the delay, as the issue was not known at the time of ordering & also if third parties (local authorities, construction contractors) have to get involved.

Just a note that I am assuming you are NOT porting an existing landline number from your old provider, as cancelling with them is a sure way of losing it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Some providers won't let you change the date but they'll let you cancel the cancellation. I'd do that.

My broadband was scheduled for the beginning of march but actually got installed beginning of May due to external works so I gave my 30 days notice once the tech got my service activated.

Note that your new date may also be delayed if they come across other problems such as blockages. 

0 Kudos